• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting my track bar problems.

EpiK XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an 89 Xj with a 3" lift, sry no pics yet... I bought it with a bad case of death wobble so I started to replace parts until its fixed. I have replaced my drag link, track bar, U joints, and my steering box. With everything I've replaced my death wobble has gotten a little better. my track bar is from Rough Country and It's made for a 3"/6" lift, but im noticing the tie rod end that came with the track bar is still shaking back and fourth spitting out all its grease so I've decided to replace it with a new heim joint end and a new track bar mount and stiffening brace from Rusty's. my problem is that I don't know what size the tie rod end comes with the track bar, it's either 11/16, 3/4 or 22 mm, and I can't tell without taking it out, and I reaaallly don't want to do that. so if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.

Go by auto zone and borrowa dial indicator and mesure the threads while on the truck. Also i did al the same as you but my death wobble didnt clear until i got adj lower controle arms. at 3 in of lift.

So I have an 89 Xj with a 3" lift, sry no pics yet... I bought it with a bad case of death wobble so I started to replace parts until its fixed. I have replaced my drag link, track bar, U joints, and my steering box. With everything I've replaced my death wobble has gotten a little better. my track bar is from Rough Country and It's made for a 3"/6" lift, but im noticing the tie rod end that came with the track bar is still shaking back and fourth spitting out all its grease so I've decided to replace it with a new heim joint end and a new track bar mount and stiffening brace from Rusty's. my problem is that I don't know what size the tie rod end comes with the track bar, it's either 11/16, 3/4 or 22 mm, and I can't tell without taking it out, and I reaaallly don't want to do that. so if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.

call rough country or search here, ive seen the part number but forget it. rough country might even have the part number on their site. the tre on the rc trackbar is a known problem and they will give you the part number so you can go to any parts store an replace it.

just did the search: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975473&highlight=trackbar+part+number

Last edited:
See thats the thing, i cant see any of the threads what so ever, the tre has been inserted all the way into the track bar so i would have yo pull the end so i can un screw it. lllaaammme.

See thats the thing, i cant see any of the threads what so ever, the tre has been inserted all the way into the track bar so i would have yo pull the end so i can un screw it. lllaaammme.

all you would have to do is take off the castle nut to drop the bar.

I have been thinking about all the things that can still be wrong so i crawled under it at like 3 in the morning and i noticed a flat spot on my driver side coil spring, it looks like it is hitting the track bar mount, so now im sure the TRE on the track bar is failing because it is allowing the axle to move left and right causing the spring to shake vigorously, correct me if im wrong but im almost positive thats what's doing it. so im dead set on replacing that end with an end that looks just like the lower end of the track bar with the 2 rubber bushings, not sure what it is called but i don't want it to be allowed to go side to side at all, just up and down, please excuse me for sounding elementary about this for this is my first XJ and im still learning. also i noticed the bushings on my flimsy control arms are going out, but don't have too much movement and i can also turn my front drive shaft a noticeable amount but the u joint is solid, is the front pumpkin supposed to be tight? or is it ok to be able to turn it a little bit before it stops?

Back