• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 4.0 getting 00 P/S assy. (Problems)

Arkansas91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm converting my belt route to the new(er) one. Everything is working great as far as that goes. I'm having issues with the belt. Last week I was working on a 00 4.0, replacing the a/c compressor and we got to the point to place the new belt. It was from O'Reilly's and was a Prestone belt in a Master Pro box (weird DC screw up) Anyway, the number was crossed and was the right belt (95 inch), so we tried to put it on. It seemed like it was just a tad too short, tensioner was bottomed out, not touching the belt, and it wasn't going on. We just assumed that Prestone sucked and we took it back and used her old one, Gatorback 95inch. Fit great.

Now to mine, I've got everything back together. Putting the belt on, from O'Reilly's, Gates K060950. (O'Reilly's belt route is WRONG btw, it's for a damn WJ or TJ or something) so after I figure out the way the belt needs to go, I start cranking, and it seems like the belt is just too short again. We manage to get it on sort of, it just needs to go one more little bitty groove. I give up, no belt should be that hard to get on, so in the process of getting the damn thing off, wound up taking a chunk outta my brand new PS pulley before cutting it. Tried my old one from my 91 route, 97.5 inch belt. Way too frikin long. Are the new belts that hard to get on and they stretch or something, has anyone else had probs getting O'Reilly's belts on?:bs:

im pretty sure my 93 and 99 belts were the same when i swapped to the new style intake... you did remove the idler next to the AC compressor right? i didnt have problems with length, i had problems with shitty belts squealing and slipping in the rain stalling my truck while turning (read: the opposite of fun)

the new style tensioner has a LOT of room for adjustment, it is a bit of a pain to slip in on over the pulleys

Yeah, I've got everything perfect. My old belt goes on over everything, which is actually a belt that was never installed, so it's not stretched. But I can't tighten it down like it needs to be, hell, the tensioner all the way up doesn't even take out any slack hah.

I'm running into the same problem but i didn't get any response to my tread :( .

i did some parts looking up .
and 92-96 had the same #
97- 01 had the same #
and 88 90 had same #

i tried the 99 belt and had the same results as you . i was unable to get it tight enough . and the 89 was wayyyyy to long .

so I'm going to pick up the belt with part #4060922 and see if that dose the trick .I'm unsure what its off of or the length .but that what was stated in one of the wright ups that i read so ill report back and let ya know .

I had that same problem when I did the swap to the newer intake. In order to fix it I ended up reversing the tensioner to push down on the ribbed side of the belt instead of pulling up on the flat side like normal. This meant I had to get a 6 rib pully from the auto parts store to replace the smooth tensioner. I dont remember the belt length off hand but I used a piece of string around all the pullys and ran the tensioner all the way up and down to get max & min belt lengths and then picked a length in the middle of that.

[QUOT

i did some parts looking up .
and 91-95 had the same #4060975
98 -01 had the same # 460790
and 88 -90 had same # 4061025
96 - 98 #4060950
QUOTE]

If someone know the lengths that might help also
I got thoes #'s off of the autozone websight ,for the gator belt as a ref.

Last edited:
Ok here ya go .4060995 .its 99.5 inches long .
I learned somthing new to day. Aperantly the last 3 digets desingate the lengt of the belt .I took some mesurements today and came up with needing somewere between 99 and 101 ".well the 99.5" works like a charm .this was used on a 99 intake ,PS,WP with 89 altbracket and AC bracket. I did remove the extra pully and went with the 99 routing . I hope that this helps .

I got my prob fixed (and it's the last 4 of the number for belts over 100", second two digits in number are number of grooves)
87-90 = ?
91-95 = 97.5" belt
96-01 = 95.0" belt

I tried Gates k060950 and was unable to get it around the pulley (belt called for 96-01). Tried Gates K060975 and was too long (belt called for 91-95). Went to Autozone and got belt 4060950 and it went on like a charm (belt called for 96-01). Now according to Gates and Goodyear, these two belts are 95.0" long. One fit, one didn't. I tried both on an actual 00 with the stock setup and HAD THE SAME RESULT. Gates makes a K060956 (95.6" belt, maybe recommend that).

These part numbers were the ones stamped on the actual belt, and part numbers called for by the stores. The 00 model mentioned was tested using two different belts, not the same ones I attempted to place on mine, but same p/ns.

Last edited:
Back