• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modification of fuel rail... possible?

DesertRunner

NAXJA Forum User
let me start with "i've searched but i either am terrible at it or im the only one with this problem"

ok ive had the jeep down for over a year for a broken axle and a rough running condition at idle. i replaced the axle as all you know and i think ive figured the rough idle problem!

ive checked for vacume leaks and all sensors are within 10,000 miles (replaced with the new stroker motor) plugs wires rotor and cap are good and newish the jeep runs on a 50/50 mix of 114 and 91 octane (per orders of motor builder "must be over 91 octane"i have 114 oct from the 1600 car)

so today i took two wrenches and a pair of vise grips and clamped the regulator vac line off. it runs perfectly no hesitation on throttle and no rough idle! so I'm 90% sure its time to replace this item but i want to run a non vacume operated holly unit with a guage so i can adjust it as needed! (might a well upgrade! no?)

1. how would i modify the fuel rail to accept this setup?

2. what pressure is stock?

3. anyone do this before?

thanks for all info, help, and opinions!
-Chad

oh ya its a 90xj aw4 242 4.0 stroker .60 over

Last edited:
There was a write up a magazine did dealing with a supercharger or some one doing a home done turbo set up that used a different fuel regulator that you could adjust the pressure.

(bump) i know someone has to have some info... race guys?...???

I have not done this mod, so I am just web wrenching here, but I can't see any reason that one of the universal pressure regulators from the ricer boys should work, just plumb it into the return line after the stock regulator and that should control pressure. you could also use a small tee before the regulator to feed a permanent gauge.

just plumb it into the return line after the stock regulator and that should control pressure. you could also use a small tee before the regulator to feed a permanent gauge.

You want the gauge after the regulator to monitor rail pressure!

The function of the vacuum controlled regulator is to richen the mixture under load. Your computer is set up with this in mind. In this case, stick with the stock regulator. Yours is probably leaking gas into the intake through the vacuum diaphram. Replace it. Stock is 50PSI at idle.

theres a good answer i was wondering how that could possibly work! so tommorow i will be buying a fuel regulator and ordering a new map sensor (i havent changed it yet) and try to smog the beast hopefully all go's well!

Back