• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best year XJ.....best bang for the buck.

geminiroq

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am a newb and this is my first post.

I have been wanting to buy an XJ for a good while now.

My question is....what is the best year (best bang for the buck) for an XJ that will be a all purpose weekend wheeler.

I want something that I can drive out to the trails and then drive back.

Either is stock form...or later...customized.

However, there are a couple of things that are appealing to me:

* Automatic
* V6
* Somewhat cushy....the girlfriend wants some creature comforts.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you...

V6--not such a good idea. You could put a DECENT V6 into an XJ, I believe Advance Adapters and Novak both make adapters.

Engines
2.5L I4 carburated - 105 hp @ 5000 rpm, 132 ft lb torque @ 2800 rpm - used in 84-85 models

2.5L I4 TBI (fuel injected) - 117 hp @ 5000 rpm, 135 ftlb @ 3500 rpm - used in 86 and updated in 87-90 to 121hp

2.5L I4 MPI (multi-port injection) - 130 hp @ 5250 rpm, 139 ft lb @ 3250 rpm - used in 91-00

GM 2.8L V6 - 115 hp @ 4800 rpm, 145 ft lb @ 2400 rpm - used in 84-86

Renault 2.1L 4cyl. Turbo Diesel - 85 hp @ 3750 rpm, 132 ft lb @ 2750 rpm - used in 85-87

Italian VM 2.5L Turbo Diesel - 140 hp, 236 ft lb torque - used in overseas XJs

4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm - used 87-90

4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm - used in 91-95 and updated in 96-01 to 225 ft lb torque @ 3000 rpm (00-01 models use a distributorless ignition system)

ok cool...so it looks like the later years are the way to go for power and cush.

What trim levels are the best?

My girlfriend says here butt gets cold and wants heated seats.

Thank you...

Do a search for "oddly optioned xj" here. Long thread with lots of info.

Personal preference really, I would not go any later than 99.. due to the POS DIS system. Most say 91-95 HO, its OBDI. Most parts interchange between most all of them. I prefer the 2 doors, altho I dont have one at the moment )= Depending on the year, WJ (99-04 Grand CHerokee) seats bolt right in.

heated grand cherokee seats (because good luck finding an XJ with heated seats that's a reasonable price...and grand cherokee seats are more comfortable)

I own 5 XJ's so I can give you a well qualified answer on this, especially since my XJ's are spread over the whole range of years excluding the 84-86 V-6 models.

I own;
90 RENIX, 4.0/AW4/NP231
94 OBD1, 4.0/AW4/NP231
96 OBD2, 4.0/AW4/NP242
96 OBD2, 4.0/AW4/NP231
00 OBD2/DIS 4.0/AW4/NP231

If you don't mind tinkering and doing diagnostics with a volt/ohm meter then the RENIX (87-90) is for you. Its reliable, and economical as long as you keep it running good and all of the sensors/outputs in good condition

The OBD1 (91-95) models are more easily upgraded for performance. Better aftermarket support and not as many stupid CEL's to address/fix.

The OBD2 (96-01) is a great system, just plug in a scanner and it will tell you whats ailing it. Not as easy to upgrade for performance add-ons without issues.

I really do not like the 00 and 01 models but ours has been a good one so far.

I think as long as you get the 4.0/AW4/NP231 set-up with the Chryco 8.25 rear end then you have a good solid platform that will serve you well for many years. Note that most RENIX era XJ's will have the D-35 rear axle and the disconnect (CAD) front axle but a trip to the JY can get you a nice set of non-disco D-30/8.25 combo that you can swap in. If you are real lucky you may land a D-44 in a 87-89 model but they are rare and IMHO the 29 spline 8.25(97+) is as good of an axle

95. although like Johnny Walker said, most parts interchange. I've had a 88, 89, 90, 91, 93, and a 95. Really, i'd say anything 91-99. heated seats are easy to install. and aftermarket kits really are not too expensive. cush? it's a xj. is there such a thing? lol. you can get them to be pretty comfy. but you sacrifice comfort for capibility (unless you get ourself some LA, they smoother that short arms IMO even with 7" of lift. but my one xj is a trail rig with those)'
p.s. if this makes no sense, i've had quite a bit to drink, so forgive me. lol

The OBD1 (91-95) models are more easily upgraded for performance. Better aftermarket support and not as many stupid CEL's to address/fix.

Thanks for the input....xjtrailrider...what do you mean by easily upgraded compared to the later models?

I would like to maximize HP and efficency to make a better rig.

Thank you...

Thanks for the input....xjtrailrider...what do you mean by easily upgraded compared to the later models?

I would like to maximize HP and efficency to make a better rig.

Thank you...

OBD2 doesn't like to be upgraded too far, it will give you codes. OBD1 will not throw codes just for adding a high flow cat like the OBD2 will, just one example.

There is not a lot of performance upgrades for the RENIX since it only lasted for 3 years.

I'd say 97 through 99. I forget all the reasons, but that was the range I was looking for when I got mine. IIRC the 97 was the most desirable IMO.

97-99 w/ HP30

I guess I should have recapped my post a bit. For a DD/trailrig, the RENIX is a good choice and they are cheap. They have gobs of low end torque, much more than the HO. My DD is a 90 RENIX and has been in my family since day one and has never broken down, even when the head gasket blew out it was driven 30 miles on the highway with little or no coolant until my sister could get home in it. Two pistons melted down (3-4) and it was still running! I had the engine rebuilt locally and its still running great today, no permanent damage was done to the engine, the cylinder walls were barely scored.

With that said, both of my trail rigs are 96 OBD2's and have been very reliable.

I agree with Raptor as well, the 97-98 is a good choice if you like the newer front end and reliability. The only issues I have heard of with those years is window regulators and turn signal switches going bad, no big deal.

Just Look for any 1987+ XJ in nice condition with low miles that looks like it has been taken care of. "Limited" is usually the model that came with the most options. Good luck.

Check Craig's List. I spent several weeks searching before I found my XJ. With enough patients, you can get a really awesome XJ at an awesome price.

Remember, you don't have to jump at the first one you see.

Back