• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think I Just Experienced DEATH WOBBLE!

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Heard about it, but never experienced until today.

I have an 88 manual XJ with 216,000 miles. I have never had any issues with any type of wobble or vibration in the past. I had just turned onto an interstate on ramp and was accelerating when at about 50 mph, a violent and loud wobble transmitted through the steering shaft. The entire XJ shook violently and I immediately pulled the vehicle over. My passenger was shouting "What was that!?!" I sat for about 20 seconds and got back on the interstate (at speed) and drove back home without issue and switched vehicles. But for those 10-15 seconds it took to get the car off the road, I was scared to death. There was literally no warning signs or indication of my impending dilemma.

I have had vehicles with out of balanced tires before. This was NOTHING like a balance issue. A quick search looks like death wobble could be caused by most any suspension and/or steering component under the car. Other than tires, is there a common culprit as to the cause of death wobble? At this point, I'm figuring that ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings are all suspect. Any help will be appreciated. TIA.

It would probably help if you list the details of your XJ. Does it have a lift, any suspension mods etc? Basically tell us anything that isn't stock on the vehicle.

At 216,000 miles, I think it's safe to assume that you're on the right path with ball joints, TRE's, etc. That is unless they've been replaced due to lifting the Jeep.

I had an 89 with the Pro-Comp 3 1/2" lift & 31's that handled great everyday up to 80 mph but there was this one spot on the 405 fwy that used to make it do that same thing. It would shake all over like it was going to rip apart and there would be a strong oil smell. That only ever happened when I was at that one spot on the 405. Imperfections in the road surface?

I experienced it a bunch in my old samurai w/ a spring over etc.

But nothing like when I lifed my XJ a month ago and was driving home. I thought it was going to shake apart. 2" difference between the front of the tires and the back of the tires.

Whoops! The XJ is totally stock (and probably original) except for the wheels and I replaced the shocks (Monroe) about 20K mikes ago. No lift kit on it.

I experienced it a week after buying my first XJ and is was a very disconcerting feeling, for sure. I inspected everything and found nothing wrong. I replaced my steering damper and did not experience it again, even after driving over the same bump at the same speed several times.

Even after the subsequent 3.5" lift, I have not experienced DW in that Jeep. Could your damper be the culprit? For me, it was worth the 60 bucks and it seemed to fix it. Coincidence, or not.

There is a ton of info on DW on this forum. You'll get a wide range of suggestions and no real answers.

Check your ball joints, Track bar bracket, tie rod ends, drag link ends. Mine did that pretty bad one day and ended up the ball joints on one side were shot. Now its got a small shake at high speed but thats due to a worn out Wheel bearing.

Check everything, retorque everything.

Track bar mounting hole becoming worn out is quite popular.

Maybe you got "mud in your tires" haha.

The damper will not fix it. It will hide it, and it will come back.

UCA bushings help alot.

Back