• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a new cat....

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
No not the feline type.....

Ripping into the XJ and I am replacing the exhaust....

Discovered the honeycomb inside the cat has seperated and was the cause of the awfull noise I hear every morning at start up.

Enter Sawzall..... I just hacked it out thinking I would just run down to the parts store and buy a new one....... Guess I haven't owned a Jeep long enough...

Ultimately I would like a California CARB compliant "DIRECT BOLT-ON" cat...

Any one got a line on one?? Mopar parts on line wants about $625.00 for the factory unit.

I found this....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any thoughts/ideas.

Thanks.

(I know this should probably be in OEM tech, but I was hoping I would get more info here, as I need a California cat....)

I saw a free one the other day...:D
free-cat.jpg

A universal Magnaflow should be fine. Thats what i run in my rig. IIRC, it was less then $100 from Summit or Jegs.

Even at autozone you can get a direct bolt in magnaflow cat for under 100$

Even at autozone you can get a direct bolt in magnaflow cat for under 100$

Are you sure?

I checked thier online store and none of them are CA legal....

I guess I forgot to state in the original post that it's for a '98.....

That's the problem.... I can find CA cats all day long up to '97. No '98's...

Is there really a difference between the 97 and 98-up cats?

Get this..... I called Pep Boys just to check and the guy on the phone says, "Sure we can order that"...

I ask," 50 state legal?"

He says yeah.....

So I go down there today knowing the guy is wrong.... And sure enough....

The guy I talked to today tells me they sell cats for just about any vehicle, but NONE of them are CA. legal...... WTF??

Back