• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel shakes back and forth when turn right or left

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
Steering progressively developed a wobble or shake when making right or left turns over the past 7 days. I hit a couple speed bumps pretty hard and it seemed to develop after that. Could just be coincidence though. Drives great in a straight line. Double checked and it is not in 4 wheel.

2" budget lift installed around two weeks ago. Have not installed the bar-pin eliminators yet.
New BFG KO's 6K ago.
New ball joints all-around today. For the upper pass. side they had to put in an offset ball joint after checking alignment.
The shop thought the wobble was maybe the tires riding on the very outside of the tires only while turning and said it is ok. I told them I never had the wobble until a week ago and this was my second set of BF KO's (235's).

BF's balanced and rotated after ball joints / alignment today at a different place where I bought the tires from (Arms and Feet). Still wobble. ugh!! :confused1

could be normal if youre turning sharply. that would be caused by the u joints. but i would check your track bar. make sure all those bolts are tight and the bracked isnt cracking

your power steering box have enough fluid?

I would check your axle joints, sounds like they are bad. They get tight and you feel them bind in the steering when turning.

Allright will check the u-joints in the morn., although I had new axle u-joints put in a year ago. Both sides. -Not getting any noise at all, un-like when I originally had to replace the u-joints. That is kind of a grind noise after letting them go for a while. Very prevalent. Will try to identify the track bar too.
I am all on my own besides you guys NAXJA.
I have come to a conclusion: the man at the front counter of some shops does not relay what cust. tells him to the mechanic very well. The 3rd shop this morn. said all is well. And 4th shop that looked at my XJ this afternoon told me that BF KO tires are not good for Jeep Cherokees because of the aggressive tread pattern. Second shop that told me that. Anyhow, I thank you for all of you guys help. If I run into any of you I will most likely have sweet bourbon beef jerky to share. Good smells coming from my dehydrator in the kitchen now.

Man wasn't sure how to check the u-joints. Taking to shop tomorrow, but any suggestions on how I can do it myself?
And thank you very much for all your help... I appreciate it very much.

Problem is that we are talking about u-joints being too tight, like rusting up. To check for stiffness, the axle shafts have to be pulled. For loosness, you can just jack up a wheel and rotate it back and forth and look for play.

Back