• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Information help....Please

rjstiles

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have a 2000 XJ sport with 4.0 and 4x4 Automatic. I am wanting to make it a little more off-road friendly. It is 100% stock right now.
I will still need to be able to drive it on the road and pass inspections.
As so many of you here have so much experience, I would appreciate your input. I do want some aggressive tires but do not want to lift more than maybe 1"-2". Should I re-build the front end? What parts should I use? I also want to do this myself and am not a mechanic so it needs to be fairly simple.
I really appreciate your help on this.
I look forward to your input!

Oh, and if you have any suggestions on where to get the recommended parts I would appreciate that as well.

Ron

If i were you i would go for a 2" old man emu full leaf and spring lift. they ride awesome, and like you said its just a little bit. you would be able to fit 30" tires as well, and since i am giving my opinion, it would be 30" BFG A/T ko. this is exactly what my brother-in-law did to his and they love it. its mostly a Daily Driver, but they like to camp and do some offroad driving, but nothing crazy.

This lift can be had through Dirk at http://www.dpgoff-road.com/ he is also very knowlegeable and will not steer you wrong... even if it isnt buying stuff from him.

G

A 2" lift and 30" BFG A/Ts makes for a very capable offroader. I've got the Rubicon Express 2" on mine, though it's a bit stiff, I'm very satisfied. The OME kit is a lot nicer, but it's also a lot more money.

The lift install is quite straightforward if you have basic hand tools. You also will probably want to rent a set of spring compressors for the front coils. It can be done without compressors, but it's way easier with.

Search around here for "budget boost" - that's the most term used a lot to describe these small lifts - and you'll find all kinds of info. I've also got a short writeup of the install of my lift on the site in my signature.

Good luck with it!

A 2" lift and 30" BFG A/Ts makes for a very capable offroader. I've got the Rubicon Express 2" on mine, though it's a bit stiff, I'm very satisfied. The OME kit is a lot nicer, but it's also a lot more money.

The lift install is quite straightforward if you have basic hand tools. You also will probably want to rent a set of spring compressors for the front coils. It can be done without compressors, but it's way easier with.

Search around here for "budget boost" - that's the most term used a lot to describe these small lifts - and you'll find all kinds of info. I've also got a short writeup of the install of my lift on the site in my signature.

Good luck with it!

This is also true... if you want a cheaper method you can do spacers and shackles and fit 30's as well...

Thanks for the info. I am going to start getting my parts and will post updates as I start.

Thank you again

Ron

Thanks for the info. I am going to start getting my parts and will post updates as I start.

Thank you again

Ron

This is a good way to go. This is how i started BONE STOCK. Now i am sitting on 235/75/15's and will be going up to 31's when the money is available. My jeep should be sitting around 2.5-3 inches when i'm done with it. I have always been told to learn to drive it stock with a few basic upgrades like aggressive tires, skid plates, sliders and of course recovery points because you WILL get stuck. Its part of the game. also don't be afraid of body damage! :banghead: Mine is very capable in its current form and won't go much bigger(thats what my next XJ will be for :D) so it will still be a practical DD/weekend warrior.

Back