• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter relay, location?

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
I know this sounds like dumb question, but I am totally unsure where is the starter relay located on '90 renix XJ?

Looked up in FSM, but couldn't figure it out from those silly drawings.

The problem is that I have no start issue like when NSS dies which I'm trying to track down, but I just can't find the relay as the one I thought it is, is obviously not.

Thanks

Passenger side fenderwell, follow the small red wire from the positive battery terminal and it will lead you to the relay.

Describe your no start problem.

Sometimes I get NSS problems which are easily solved by jiggling the shifter stick. However last night no amount of force made it fire up so I came back in the morning took out what I thought was starter relay, shorted down what I thought was correct wire to ground - no starting either. Then I messed with that relay connector really badly, even think I damaged something. However then I went under the jeep, jumped starter solenoid - nothing. Hit the starter with the hammer, jumped again and there it starts!

Okay, one problem down, but it still doesn't start with ignition switch.

Now later today, I went thru FSMs and online resources, to track down which wire I have to short to ground in order to bypass NSS (to rule it out): wire from starter solenoid goes to gray connector near battery, goes out and (much to my surprise) it doesn't end in what I thought was starter relay. So where is the -beep- starter relay then?

If I could just see the photo..

There are two wires running off the positive battery post. The heavy main cable runs to the large lug on the starter. The small cable runs directly to the starter relay lug on the passenger side fenderwell. The silver starter relay has the one lug with the small cable from the positive battery terminal and several small wires too, that lug on the starter relay acts as a power distribution center. There are also three male spade connectors, one IGN, one SOL, and one GRND. Its the only item on that fenderwell with those connections.

Possible problem areas are:

Bad battery.

Poor connections and grounds.

Bad cables.

NSS -- remove, clean, and adjust. See here: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

Ignition switch adjust/replace.

Starter.

Starter solenoid.

Starter relay.

If you put the vehicle in Park, set the Parking Brake, key in the OFF position, and then go to the starter solenoid and jump across the starter solenoid where the wire from the starter relay connects directly to the large lug with the main battery cable attached that engine will crank over IF the cables are good and the battery is good and the starter/solenoid is good. IF it fails to crank, as I think you described above, until you hit it with a hammer, then the starter and/or soleniod is bad.

No need for photo anymore. I just didn't realize that starter relay is that bulky thing looking like power distributor. There is another relay in my jeep in that area, but now I think that it is for something else that previous owner messed with. I was really confused, but now everything is clear!

Back