• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part-time light failure?

kadetklapp

NAXJA Forum User
My part-time light has not worked since I bought the Jeep. I have tried the cluster self-test several times to no avail. I pulled the cluster and swapped bulbs around, even though the bulbs in part-time and full-time seemed OK (I have a full-time bulb even though I have an NP231). Still nothing. For giggled I jumped the connector at the case and didn't get the light either. I would imagine this means a problem with the cluster itself. Anyone know of a fix for this? :anon:

This is a good question. I have the same issue. I have swapped bulbs and replaced bad ones... All my dash lights work now except for that one... So hopefuly for both of our sake someone posts something helpful. Unlike me

It started out as a minor annoyance but now I'm on a mission to find out what the problem is. If it's a matter of soldering something I'm down, just need to know what. It has to be a broken connection somewhere. I'm about ready to just run a seperate wire from the cluster down to the switch.

Depending on the axle you have it is probably the vacuum line

What year and transfer case?

Ok, has to be the switch on the TC or the wiring. Test the switch.

Does anyone have pics of where this switch is and how to test it? I know this is an ancient thread, but I'd like to get the light on my 96 231 working again. It worked fine until I oiled up the bottom one year before winter.

It's on the side of the transfer case - on a 231, it should be the only wiring harness going to the case. I believe it is grounded through the drivetrain and has only one wire going to it, which should measure at 0 volts when in 4hi or 4lo and 12 volts when in 2hi, but I am not sure.

If you unplug the cable from it and measure the switch while it's in 4hi, it should measure open. If you measure the cable while it's unplugged it should measure 12 volts - if it does not, the wiring harness has a break in it somewhere or the bulb is burned out.

Why do you need a light to tell you when you're in 4-wheel drive? I swapped in a NP231 for my old NP242 and haven't worried about getting the light working. Do you really need a light to tell you you are no longer in 2-wheel drive?

Save yourself the headache and worry about bigger issues.

Why do you need a light to tell you when you're in 4-wheel drive? I swapped in a NP231 for my old NP242 and haven't worried about getting the light working. Do you really need a light to tell you you are no longer in 2-wheel drive?

Save yourself the headache and worry about bigger issues.

Well basically i've had it since 2006, and things like this drive me insane. Well, not THAT insane, or I woulda fixed it years ago, but it's just an OCD thing. Some ppl care, some don't. i don't "need" it to tell me, it would just be one less annoying thing in my craptastic stressful life that I'd actually have some control over.

Bulb is good btw, and years ago when I looked into it, I don't think I located the right switch/connector. I gave up on it pretty quick because I didn't really care. Now for whatever reason I've been thinking about just trying to get it working as it should.

It's on the side of the transfer case - on a 231, it should be the only wiring harness going to the case. I believe it is grounded through the drivetrain and has only one wire going to it, which should measure at 0 volts when in 4hi or 4lo and 12 volts when in 2hi, but I am not sure.

If you unplug the cable from it and measure the switch while it's in 4hi, it should measure open. If you measure the cable while it's unplugged it should measure 12 volts - if it does not, the wiring harness has a break in it somewhere or the bulb is burned out.

Thanks for the detailed info! I'm going to try to check into it over the weekend.

thanks for the post! if there wasnt snow on the ground id head outside and test it out. lol. my 99 with 231 has had the same problem since i bought it. i use the term "problem" lightly because the 231 engages 100%, just no light.

no problem! I'm glad I found it myself. I'm going to try to look into it over the weekend even though it's been in the 20's this week. Like i said before, some ppl care, some don't....i just like to get my sh!t working the way it should when possible.

:clap: I have! Four times in the last year!

:)o brake lines have burst 3 different times... they have all been replaced now)

Back