• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating

ChrisSanchez

NAXJA Forum User
well my 92 xj has always ran a little on the hotter side, and i am going on a trip and don't want to have any problems. when i start driving it seems like the heat just keeps going up to about 230-240 and it just stops there. So i took my radiator out and cleaned it. Turned out there was some mud in it. So now i drive and it seems to stay cooler but when i come to a stop it just climbs up to that same temp. I replaced the thermostat just for safety. I am just worried about it getting too hot. does anyone know why it wont just stay cool? any suggestions? oh and for some reason my electric fan wont come on

Last edited:
Insufficient air flow.

Check your fan clutch, it is probably not engaging.

Suggest upgrade to ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA 272310, $44. Do a search here, lots of threads.

might be an extreme, but you could always look into water wetter or something similar from royal purple. its designed to keep ur coolant cooler

Insufficient air flow.

Check your fan clutch, it is probably not engaging.

Suggest upgrade to ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA 272310, $44. Do a search here, lots of threads.

I think it's 272314 for 'max cooling'. But not sure, here are the three they list for the ZJ and XJ. The 2314 looks like it takes a different sized fan though.
ZJ
Item#: TEM272310
Price: $44.99
Attributes:
Type:Thermal
Style:7" Heavy Duty
Bolt Circle Diameter:1.39"
Fan Mount Diameter:2.62"
Fan Mount Height:2.25"
Overall Diameter:7.23"
Height:3.24"
Pilot Diameter:.63"
Rotation:Counterclockwise
ZJ
Item#: TEM272314
Price: $65.99
Attributes:
Style:Severe Duty
Bolt Circle Diameter:1.94"
Fan Mount Height:1.22"
Overall Diameter:6.45"
Height:3.74"

XJ
Item#: TEM272318
Price: $39.99
Attributes:
Style:6" Domestic
Bolt Circle Diameter:1.39"
Fan Mount Height:19"
Overall Diameter:6"
Height:3.09"

I think I'll go with the 2310 and see how that works out. Cheaper than car quest too.

The MAX cool will not fit.

The NAPA part number for the HD fan clutch is 272310, direct bolt in, no difference in clearance to the radiator. The HD fan clutch has a larger diameter, but it has the same depth.

Back