• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced transmission, having troubles.

KodieG

NAXJA Forum User
Posted this on Pirate4x4 a few days ago and haven't gotten a reply so i figured i'd post here as well:

Ok, so the transmission went out in my 96 jeep xj cherokee sport so we replaced it with a transmission from a 91 xj cherokee pioneer. Bolted right up and everything and we put my original transfer case on it. But when we put it in gear it wouldn't do anything. But the engine still changed noises so we knew it was recognizing the transmission being shifted. It was acting like the transfer case was stuck in neutral. So we just assumed the transfer case was bad, so we replaced it with a transfer case from a 97 grand cherokee and it still doing the same thing. The transmission we put in it worked perfect in the old truck.

Could it be the torque converter?
If not, what could it be? If so how would we fix it?

Thanks.

Posted this on Pirate4x4 a few days ago and haven't gotten a reply so i figured i'd post here as well:

Ok, so the transmission went out in my 96 jeep xj cherokee sport so we replaced it with a transmission from a 91 xj cherokee pioneer. Bolted right up and everything and we put my original transfer case on it. But when we put it in gear it wouldn't do anything. But the engine still changed noises so we knew it was recognizing the transmission being shifted. It was acting like the transfer case was stuck in neutral. So we just assumed the transfer case was bad, so we replaced it with a transfer case from a 97 grand cherokee and it still doing the same thing. The transmission we put in it worked perfect in the old truck.

Could it be the torque converter?
If not, what could it be? If so how would we fix it?

Thanks.
How's the fluid level? About how much did you put in initially? Did you prime the converter at all?

Sounds dumb, but are you sure you have the transfer case in gear?

How's the fluid level? About how much did you put in initially? Did you prime the converter at all?

Fluid is brand new, and level is prefect, put in what the haynes manual said. and what does prime the converter mean?

Sounds dumb, but are you sure you have the transfer case in gear?

positive the transfer case is in gear, its done this on 2 of them now.

With all this it makes the original problem take on more importance, i.e., maybe your 96 trans was Ok.

Try this, get yourself pointed in a safe, clear direction, then put it in gear and rev it up about 4k and see if it moves.

With all this it makes the original problem take on more importance, i.e., maybe your 96 trans was Ok.

Try this, get yourself pointed in a safe, clear direction, then put it in gear and rev it up about 4k and see if it moves.

That's what we were thinking. But the first tranny stopped working when I hit a rut real hard and broke the transmission fluid cooling lines and it drained all the tranny fluid out.

But we'll try the rev up thing tonight.

If you put the transfer case in 4WD, and turn the rear driveshaft, the front driveshaft has to turn, right? (Vehicle jacked up.) Then you KNOW your not in neutral, right?

Well before we put the new transfer case in we started the truck and put it in gear and the transmission was spinning but really slow like it had no torque.

I just put a 91 tranny in my 96 without any issues(4WD conversion). The torque converter may not be all the way in, or something that I almost forgot to might have happened.......the four flexplate bolts may hve not been installed. If they are not in then you would have the issue you are having right now.

One more thing just popped into my head...try disconnecting your rear driveshaft from the tranny, then engage the transmission and see of the rear yoke is spinning. If it is spinning fine then a) the flexplate bolts are installed, and b) it might be your rear diff, not your tranny.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

It's been about 4 months and have tried a combination of 3 different transmissions and 2 different transfer cases. All have given us the same results. Truck acts like its in neutral. There is definitely something we are doing wrong. I still want to say that we're not putting the torque converter in right but i cant be sure.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

sounds like torque converter... i had a pain in the A$$ time doing mine until i got totally pissed and went out there and got it... does the bell housing line up properly?

Back