• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Stage 3 Rear bumper

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decide between a JCR Stage 3, Rigidco, Detours Slimline or AJs Tanker Rear bumper and tire carrier and need some advice...

I've searched and read plenty on the Rigidco, Detours and AJs, but haven't found much on the JCR Stage 3. Does anyone have an opinion on the JCR Stage 3 rear? How do they hold up? Any pics?

I've had mine a couple months, haven't had the chance to wheel with it yet, but I love having the spare out of the cargo area.

Only complaint I have is it blocks out your reverse lights.

P3180066.jpg

Proto fab is easily my favorite rear tire carier. It has an upgrade for dual swing outs to carry a gas can and an ice chest on one side and your tire on the other. I bad a$$. And only 615

yeah the protofab is nice... i have some experience with their fronts. the dual swing is a nice feature.

i love my JCR stage 3 bumper it has done great. It has been hit on many rocks with not problem at all, and recently got hit in the rear, and not even a scratch or dent, but the other guy wasn't as lucky and had his hood, bumper and front end in a mess. The tire carrier holds my 33 and highlift with ease and can also hold me 200lbs friend hanging onto it all at the same time! If i could only say 1 thing about the bumper is that it is as beefy as they come, just my 2 cents.

I'm trying to decide between a JCR Stage 3, Rigidco, Detours Slimline or AJs Tanker Rear bumper and tire carrier and need some advice...

I've searched and read plenty on the Rigidco, Detours and AJs, but haven't found much on the JCR Stage 3. Does anyone have an opinion on the JCR Stage 3 rear? How do they hold up? Any pics?

Howdy - OK - so I have researched all of the options you listed and have been asking myself the same question. Every time I do I keep coming back to one bumper / tire carrier.

C-Rok's Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo is the best on the market in my opinion. It's not the least expensive option but I think it is worth the $$$$.

http://www.c-rok.com/carrier.html

The bumper gives you quarter gaurd protection and the tire carrier holds the tire up nice & high for awesome departure clearence.

Have fun and keep us posted on your decision.

Yeah the C-Rok is a little expensive for me. Plus, JCR has a big sale going on right now and I could get the Stage 3 for 500 bucks... which is pretty hard to beat. It's not my favorite (I really like the Rigidco and Detours) but I could make due for 500 bucks.

I am curious about how the bumper holds up with a 33in tire on it and if it is really sturdy enough for recovery? Also, for those of you who have it, does the tire ever give you clearance issues being mounted so low?

I have a protofab and it's t*ts. I'm happy to have it and would not have any other.

Yeah the C-Rok is a little expensive for me. Plus, JCR has a big sale going on right now and I could get the Stage 3 for 500 bucks... which is pretty hard to beat. It's not my favorite (I really like the Rigidco and Detours) but I could make due for 500 bucks.

I am curious about how the bumper holds up with a 33in tire on it and if it is really sturdy enough for recovery? Also, for those of you who have it, does the tire ever give you clearance issues being mounted so low?

Yeah - $500 is really hard to beat..... The only thing that I can see being an issue is the clamp. From what I have seen with other bumpers that have that style is they have a tendency to unclamp. I know guys have modified them to either heavier duty or added some sort of pin.

The 33 fits fine do doubt about it, the only clearance issue i have is that i cant see any thing from my rear view mirror(but then again thats a given with a rear tire carrier) just something to get used to. For recovery i have been pulled out of some heavy mud with no issues and i have pulled ALOT of peeople out with my rear D rings and no probelms at all.

Oh and regarding the rear latch, it does need some attention. The pin that it came with was perfect never had a problem with it coming undone even while doing some desert running, but i unforntualy lost that pin one day, and had to resort to a zip tie! the zip tie has worked for the last 5 months i dont know how or why but it does the trick. Even though i am lazy and havent picked up another correct pin yet, soon tho.

I do like the C-ROK bumper, but i'm not a huge fan of the tire carrier... the tire is mounted way too high. i think it looks goofy, and i would think that it would raise the center of gravity.

G

Newer ones do not have the pin

I just got the JCR stage 3 and installed it over the weekend. Yes, the tire blocks you rear window, but duh...;) I had a couple issues with the install: The instructions aren't as clear as they could be about how certain parts go together (like the uniframe tieins); and the mount that bolts to the brackets' former location weren't lined up properly. I was only able to get 6 of the 8 bolts in for the new brackets. I will most likely be notching the holes in order to line them up better so I can get the last two bolts in. The latch seems to do fine now. I've had it playing in the desert a few times, doing 55 down washboard dirt roads, bouncing through whoops (albeit somewhat slowly), and climbing around on mountains, and it's held on great. It's adjusted fairly tight to where I have to smack it closed with the palm of my hand, but it holds it shut so far with no trouble.

So here's a little breakdown price wise... Now I need some advice (I just can't make up my mind on this one)

JCR Stage 3 Rear- comes with hilift mount, reciever, d-ring tabs, unibody tie in... $500 (I can pick it up which negates shipping)

Detours USA Slimline- d-ring tabs, reciever... $710 (I can pick it up as well)- http://detoursusa.com/xjbumper.php

Rigidco RbATC or RbMTC- $635 or $640. that doesn't include shipping. They come with reciever and d-ring tabs... tire position is also adjustable...

what do you guys think would be the best out of those?

Back