• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i do a front or rear diff cover first?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a d30/8.25 combo sitting on stock covers... should i upgrade the front or rear first? i read about people pealing them back on the trail, but not so much about the fronts... which one should i replace first?

also do they make diff covers with tow points built into them? ( ok im seriously joking, but that would be funny to see )

IF it was me I would probably do the front first.. I can just see myself hitting the front more than the rear, but I think it all depends on what kind of wheeling you do

I would do the front first and get something like a RuffStuff with countersunk holes. I have noticed that my stock cover's lower bolts are all deformed from hitting rocks.

I would do the front first because while the 8.25 cover does flare out at the lower corners and likes to peel up as long as you keep that in mind you can usually avoid it, and even if it does peel way up you can just take a hammer and pound it back down. But if you smack your d30 cover into your ring gear or punch a hole in it you have a much more serious problem.

rear first

the stock dana30 cover is beef compared to the rear cover

Front first.

A high pinion 30 can use the added support.

I would do the front first. Followed very quickly by the rear. If you need the front, you need the rear. I smack the front a lot more than I smack the rear, mostly because I suck at driving.

I would do the front first and get something like a RuffStuff with countersunk holes. I have noticed that my stock cover's lower bolts are all deformed from hitting rocks.

I would do the front first because while the 8.25 cover does flare out at the lower corners and likes to peel up as long as you keep that in mind you can usually avoid it, and even if it does peel way up you can just take a hammer and pound it back down. But if you smack your d30 cover into your ring gear or punch a hole in it you have a much more serious problem.

i dont know how the ruff stuff looks. but i like the way the riddler and crane covers look how their tapered to kind of slide up on the rocks instead of smack them.

rear first

the stock dana30 cover is beef compared to the rear cover

X2

The D30 is close to an 1/8" thick. Mine held up great for several years with some good hits. The rear D44 however was like sheet metal. Second time playing on the rocks, and it was almost touching the ring gear.

Look in the vendors forum for the Ruff Stuff covers. You won't be disappointed.

do the rear first. the stock 8.25 cover is known for peeling back. my stock 30 cover put up with a lot more than my stock 8.25 cover. with my RuffStuff covers i dont have to worry at all anymore. plus, the RS 8.25 cover is a great template to use for shaving that rock anchor lip on the bottom of the diff.

do the rear first. the stock 8.25 cover is known for peeling back. my stock 30 cover put up with a lot more than my stock 8.25 cover. with my RuffStuff covers i dont have to worry at all anymore. plus, the RS 8.25 cover is a great template to use for shaving that rock anchor lip on the bottom of the diff.

Exactly, when I still had the rear 8.25 it was shaved to match the ruffstuff cover.

DSCN0422.jpg

-Alex

Deffentally the 8.25, first time you really drag it over a rock youll get home with a leaky rear axle. Ive bashed my rear cover a lot more than the front too. As mentioned the front cover is fairly stout.
And my 8.25 is shaved and the cover is shaved to match. While your down there its a great time to get out the grinder.

Back