• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Unit Bearing?

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just installed a 6" long arm lift on my 98 xj, 4.0, Auto. When driving it, at any speed, it makes a harsh, loud growling noise (best way I can explain it). It sounds like something is grinding that shouldn't be. It's definitely coming from the front. I tried removing the front driveshat, thought maybe the ujoints. No change.
I don't know if this matters, but I get pretty bad wheel shimmy (steering wheel and front end shaking) between 40-50 mph. Just finished the lift, so I haven't had the alignment yet, but I've adjusted things as best I could.

I jacked up the front and the driver's side has a tiny bit of play and it almost looks like that tire is leaning in at the top a tiny bit.

Are these symptoms of a bad unit bearing?

Also, I have a LP D30 from an 06 TJ, complete. Are the unit bearings interchangeable between these two axles?

Growling noise, you probalby got it right. If it's metal lightly grinding, you may have bent the dust shield into the rotor...which is not big deal, just bend it back with a screwdriver.

adjusted things best you could? with an angle finder and tape measure i hope.

unit bearting hub most likely, but also check the ball joints if the tire is leaning(camber)

Growling noise, you probalby got it right. If it's metal lightly grinding, you may have bent the dust shield into the rotor...which is not big deal, just bend it back with a screwdriver.

Hmmm, good idea about checking the dust shield to see if it's bent. Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check that this weekend.

Any input on whether the TJ unit bearing from a lp d30 is a direct swap?

it makes a harsh, loud growling noise ?

"Growling" or a gravely rock tumbler noise is almost always the hub assembly. there should be no play at all either... if there is side to side play it is hub, and if there is up and down, but no side to side it is ball joints(although ball joints dont growl). the TJ HP d30 parts should interchange between the two.

tip: get some anti seize and put it on everything when putting it back together... it will make life way easier down the road... especially getting the unit bearing out.

G

you say the tj hp d30 should swap. I have a tj lp d30, though, same thing?

yes i do believe so... i have swapped yj d30 unit bearings with my 99 xj...

I just checked on Rockauto and they list different part #'s for the unit bearings between the TJ and XJ, hmmmm....
I may still try and see if I can use the tj one as it's basically brand new, very low miles. I bought the axle b/c it has an auburn ected electric locker I'm going to swap over into my d30 also.

We got two of the TJ unit bearings and after I installed them, the rotors contacted the lower knuckle and squealed like a pig. Had to take them back and get the XJ version because my TJ has manual hubs (iow: i couldn't just use them on my TJ). This is with NAPA (SKF brand), the most expensive unit bearing hubs out there from what I can tell too.

We now have manual hubs on all of my Jeeps because it's only $30 to replace all bearings and seals.

Last edited:
if you use the TJ hub you will need to use the TJ rotors.

hmmm, bummer. I have some basically new cross-drilled rotors on the xj.

If I swap just one of the unit bearings and rotors from the tj axle, will it be an issue to keep the xj rotor, etc. on the other side? Or should I swap both if I do one?

Anybody want to buy some cross-drilled rotors, haha?

if you use the TJ hub you will need to use the TJ rotors.

ah yep this is true... sorry about the bad info. i do remeber that we went and bought new rotors because of the clearance issue. is there a problem with getting a new hub assy? they are somewhat pricy, but you shouldnt have to mess with it again in a long time... plus then you know its good.

Yeah, I might just end up buying a new hub assembly. I can get a Timken one from Rockauto for $100. I was just hoping to not have to spend that $100 since I already had this tj axle lying around.

Back