• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Large tires, do they require steering reinforcement ?

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i ve been searching for the last 2 hours and so far i cant come across my anwser, my question is, i have a 2001 cherokee limited, 6.5 " lift on 33"s
i just got some free 35"s today at work, and i didnt put them on because im worried that tires that large on a stock steering box might strain it too far. from your expierience, do i need to get that C.R.O.K. steering reinforcement plates ? or the rustys stabilizer bar . ??? or can my stock jeep steering handle 35"s
by the way, the jeep is my daily driver, i drive on the highway alot, and i go offroading a few times a month, nothin too crazy tho

thankyouj..

well my 33's are almost bald and theyve been on my xj for 6 months now with no problem, do you think for about 1 month or 2 it will be ok with 35's and no reinfoc. plate ?? if i mainly stay on the raod

IntrepidXJ said:
i braced my steering at 33's and suggest anyone who wheels with 33's+ do the same.

c-rok is a good investment
I agree 100%. I put the c-rok brace on with 31's. JIM.

well my 33's are almost bald and theyve been on my xj for 6 months now with no problem, do you think for about 1 month or 2 it will be ok with 35's and no reinfoc. plate ?? if i mainly stay on the raod
Edit/Delete Message

IntrepidXJ said:
i braced my steering at 33's and suggest anyone who wheels with 33's+ do the same.

c-rok is a good investment

Concur. I've had to change a couple of steering boxes, and that area is fairly thin - probably borderline for 31's (and when I put a lift on, I'm getting or making a box brace and reinforcement plate.)

If you stay on-road, you should be fine for a little while - but if you're going off-road or thinking about a lot of towing, I'd highly suggest a brace.

5-90

If you wheel at all, brace that thing. I ripped my steering box off of the frame, and it sucked. Took me 10 hours to go about 200 ft on a trail.
Do whatever you can to brace it. I did that on semi bald 32s in some very mild wheeling. Do it and sleep better at night knowing that you dont have to worry about that.

Yes, plate the frame rails. C-rok, Rusty has a set as well, or home made. I ripped the sheet metal at the front bolt and one bottom bolt running 35's on my D-30. Had a steering box brace from pitman arm to opposite frame side. It did slow the process I'm sure, but when the frame sheet metal went, it went quick.
I plated the inside and outside (on both sides) with a set of 3/16th plates Rusty machined for me. Takes a while to rosette weld them in, but well worth it. If its a rock crawler, plate your frame rails. Makes the bumper attachment alot stronger, much more strength for front recovery points, Fixes the steering box concerns.

My $.02

I was wondering the same thing and read about some bumpers providing the extra support.

What bumpers provide that extra support?

I have an old protofab bumper that I pulled off of a trade-in. Its the tube style that can support a winch.

The steering box support should look like this.
HPIM0173.jpg

It will incorporate the 3 bumper bolts & the 3 PSB bolts. I have since added a tab that goes to the large bolt hole in the frame. JIM.

You should have a C-Rok plate no matter what! Whenever I get off my lazy ass I intend to put one on my stocker. You do NOT want to repair that section of frame if you have something as simple as bolt failure.

Now...

With 35's you should really be thinking about swapping out the steering linkages anyway, that tie rod and drag link are toothpicks for 35's. also if you haven't regeared you want to.

Back