• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HDR

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
So Rollins and me and my buddy Hal go out to High Desert Roundup and meet up with Santa to camp together. We're mulling over the trail run options. Mike wants to run something hard Like Empire Strikes Back, but me being the weenie that I am is scared at the thought of running a trail that hard. Especially a trail that had a rollover on a previous year. And I don't want to leave Hal out. Stock ZJ with Rubicon MTR take-offs, rock rails and tow points. Can't do anything hard with him and honestly that's fine me and my overbuild my rig philosophy.

Nevertheless, Santa signs him, Rollins and I up for Empire and Hal is happy to ride bitch, so I figure that my decision has been made. Off we go.

100_6098.jpg

100_6102.jpg

100_6103.jpg

100_6104.jpg

100_6105.jpg

100_6107.jpg

100_6110.jpg

100_6119.jpg

100_6121.jpg

Pucker Turn. Nasty, blind, off camber drop-off. Scary spooky.
100_6127.jpg

100_6128.jpg

100_6131.jpg

100_6132.jpg

Where's the rollover video??

:D

Then it got bad...

We started running up Dinero Canyon. When Rollins turned up that hill, I honestly thought he was taking the crazy-stupid-look-at-what-the-Woody-can-do line. That is until I got there myself and saw that it was the _only_ line. All of a sudden, my old time Harry Baker training kicked in. (Eddie knows what I mean.) I somehow remembered that on loose steep climbs you have to keep the momentum up, watch for the front end deviating from straight and if it does, just stop where you are and wait for help. Wild Bill somehow let it fall back and before anybody could react, it was too late.

http://rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/HDR09/Rollmovie.html

DSCN0133.jpg

100_6138.jpg

100_6145.jpg

100_6148.jpg

DSCN0142.jpg

100_6146.jpg

Trail leader Sean handled communications like a champ. Called 911 and gave the CHP the GPS coordinates. The CHP pilot Scott managed to find the only flat spot anywhere close to the trail and dropped that chopper onto an area not much bigger than the pads.

EMT checked out the patients who refused medivac and ambulance and instead road in a Jeep to the ER in Barstow. Just minor cuts and scraps. Dog didn't fare as well, but she's okay too.

A Manuel Trans? One of Hispanic descent? :D

Nice pics, Andy. Glad to hear everybody is okay.

Holy crap that was scary, i love my man trans, but it can sure add to the pucker factor sometimes.

I was just lookin at the pics of when I followed Andy up the hill and if that had been Wild Bill in front of me I would have been to close and he would have been on top of me when he rolled, I need to give more room on these uphills. 10 minutes prior to him rolling we were stopped and I told Bill to be carefull and not roll on top of me, I was just kiddin around and then he rolled. He also rolled last year at Truckhaven and spent 6 weeks in the hospital but his wife and dog were ok both times......SANTA

Glad they are OK. After seeing the Video, what in the hell happened ? It looks like he free wheeled backwards, I just assumed he had a Stick, but you can see in the Video it looks like there is a trans pan.

:dunno:

man im glad everyone made it out ok, that roll was pretty bad considering the video doesnt make it look nearly that steep.

man im glad everyone made it out ok, that roll was pretty bad considering the video doesnt make it look nearly that steep.

You can see his arm start to come out the window on the first roll, I was saying "pull in your arm" It could have been real ugly. Again, glad they are ok!

Glad they are OK. After seeing the Video, what in the hell happened ? It looks like he free wheeled backwards, I just assumed he had a Stick, but you can see in the Video it looks like there is a trans pan.

:dunno:

Looks like maybe he backed up to get a better line and didn't realize just as he hit the brakes his rear driver tire was sitting on a low spot.

All I could think about though was my redneck buddy screamin', "You ain't stuck if you're still moving!!!". if he would have just stayed on the gas, he might have just made it.....the rig didn't appear to be spinning tires and the momentum was still moving forward.

Of course, everyone has 20/20 hindsight. =)

Anywho, glad to hear the dog and it's owners are ok.

The day before the roll we were at signups and Bill did not want to do that run because of that hill and I was surprized to see him in the lineup sat. morning,HDR said they are going to take that hill off next years list (Last year a Sami rolled it real bad there).....SANTA

The day before the roll we were at signups and Bill did not want to do that run because of that hill and I was surprized to see him in the lineup sat. morning,HDR said they are going to take that hill off next years list (Last year a Sami rolled it real bad there).....SANTA

How many times have we all gave into doing somthing we don't feel good about and the results are bad. When I make up my mind not to do somthing, that's it, not going to happen. Of course alcohol seems to change things :rof:

thank heavens everyone is okay - that was a very nasty roll-over.
u all did a superb job on the post-accident. kudos to all who made sure medical attention was attained so quickly, and further kudos to the recovery crew. awesome teamwork all the way around

WOW, Ouch! Glad to hear everyone is OK, I woundn't have guessed it watching that vid.

Back