• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE

Brendan_91XJ

NAXJA Member #1163
Hey if anyone took an extra day off this weekend, I am doing my SYE this morning.

Come on by when you are off, I am taking is slow so I don't screw it up :D

That, and I can't find a dam ruler in the house anywhere :gonnablow

As in progress... I don't have a working vehicle.
I am going to walk up to pepboys and get a tap handle which I need anyway.

trust the midas touch..

did you guys get it going? i was home all day being a fat lazy pig.

Doing it today.

I can't believe Pepboys doesn't carry tap handles! :tears:

No worries, i am using a ratchet with a 9mm 12pnt socket

Slide on the yoke to see where it stops on the shaft. I chamfered out a little from the inside of the yoke so it rested against the bearing cir-clip to support the bearing as well but it is up to you. Then measure from where it had stopped to the end of the shaft after removing the yoke. Next measure from the end of the yoke down inside to the back of the brass end plate. Subtract the two measurements so you know how much to cut off the end of the yoke. I left an extra 1mm so that there was tension on the yoke against the bearing.

The above is from GoJeeps write-up.
I measured roughly 2" of output shaft that will be used by the Yoke, I am measuring 4 7/16" to the bottom of the yoke on the inside.

Q: So I am cutting 2 7/16" off the back of the yoke, leaving me the 2", Yes?

Now that I type it it makes more sense :twak:

made the cut...
I have to clean it up and see if I got it right

I have a stock front DS I got from the bone yard, I ill eventually replace it with something else if need be

Done... Time to lube up and take it for a test drive!

Hmm... better take the cell. :D

Test drive went ok.
I was expecting this to reduce my driveshaft angle. The Jeep has 5" of lift. The angle of the DS is 16º and the angle of the pinion is 9º, from what I understand the pinion angle should be 2-3º less than the DS angle. Correct?
How much shim do I need here? I am thinking a 4º, but as the pinion angle is increased the DS angle should also decrease.

Any help would be great.

well now that you have a CV style drive shaft in the rear, you need to point the pinion directly at the t-case output. You should be down by 2* at the most because the pinion rotates up under acceleration. So I would throw a 4* shim in there, but make sure it is pointing at the t-case..

Back