• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift on a 2WD?

iBarsky

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like I'm going to be picking up a low mileage 2WD for a good price. It's going to be a DD that will only see dirt when hauling the canoe/kayaks.

I'm going to put a 3 inch lift on it and while I know that a standard lift will work, I've not lifted a 2WD before.
-Are there any major differences?
-How much of an angle can the rear DS take before issues happen?

Thanks

You can use any lift made for the XJ on your 2wd.. The suspension is the same 2wd and 4x4, so same issues/requirements apply.
The 2wd is NOT going to have the same Driveline vibration issues as a 4X4, because it has a longer Drive Shaft. This is just a guess, but I doubt you would need to worry about the DS until you get to the 6" plus range.

Yep everything is the same. About the only thing I can think of is the 2wd crossmember bolts up a lil different than the 4x4 crossmembers, which makes a t-case drop a little more of a pain. As stated above the drive line is longer so w/ a 3" lift you deffentally wont have a problem. My 2wd is at 4" ish and has no problems. You can probably go 5-6" before you start having an issue.

Yep everything is the same. About the only thing I can think of is the 2wd crossmember bolts up a lil different than the 4x4 crossmembers, which makes a t-case drop a little more of a pain. As stated above the drive line is longer so w/ a 3" lift you deffentally wont have a problem. My 2wd is at 4" ish and has no problems. You can probably go 5-6" before you start having an issue.

2wd does not have a transfer case, no drop needed. This and the longer DS is why they are not as prone to the same driveline vibes as a 4X4.

Thanks for the imput guys.
I'm thinking a 3-4 inch lift with 31-32s and a rear locker will probably be as far as I go with it (yeah, right:shhh:).

Just something simple and dependable for DDing.

2wd does not have a transfer case, no drop needed. This and the longer DS is why they are not as prone to the same driveline vibes as a 4X4.

You could still lower the crossmember, tho I guess it would be a trans drop.

I have a lifted 2WD and did the (bastard pack with tnt schackles, spacers and wj sprinigs in front) lift myself. I have about 3.5 inch in the rear and 3 in the front. I got some 4.5 coils for the front which im thinkin about doing the install this weekend. I havent had much time but will have to make some to make it look better. Rides a bit stiff in the rear but NO Vibes at all and its a DD.

Lil Joe

Back