• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ Hatch Hinge

F1504x2

NAXJA Forum User
Morning,

Our hatch dropped down on the one side and is rubbing on the taillight and the only adjustment i see is the roof hinges, is this right?

Please help:dunno:

Yes, it's done with shims. You need to take off the trim around the headliner in the back, and you'll see the nuts for this. Make sure first that all the screws and nuts are tight on both body and hatch, and then add shims to raise. If it's drooped a good deal, of course, the hinges may be worn out, but you might still be able to shim to compensate. The hinges are replaceable, but I wouldn't do it unless it's too bad to shim. I think there should be one shim in each hinge by default, so you should be able to find a piece to use as a pattern. It might also be possible to replace the pins without replacing the hinges, but I've never looked closely.

Thanks for the great info. Everything was fine unitl the other day when we noticed the hatch dropped so we thing somthing broke. The hatch still opens fine just rubs on the light.

John

Back