• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging leaf springs

buffalo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj with a 4.5" rubicon lift, my problem is the springs, I chose to purchase the new springs instead of the add a leaf. after two years the springs are totaly flat with no arch. I want to purchase a rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can move the spare off the top roof rack, is there a better spring that won't sag or what are my options. thank you for any help.

You may want to ask this question in the Modified Tech section. You will get more answers there (believe me, saggin' springs are a common problem.)

But, are you sayin' your RE 4.5" leaf springs are completely flat? After only two years?
Damn....you drive much faster and over much rougher terrain than I do (or so the evidence dictates....)

After I used up my RE's I ended up going with a set from National Spring. Although I did end up with a way soft set, I have been told that National can re-arch the springs when nesc.

Did that help?

I would contact RE and ask them about this. I have ran RE for years with no sagging and I do have a bumper with tire carrier.

Did you buy them new or used? If new, then RE should be able to help you out.

you might want to heck with Dan at Loose Nuts. he may be able to help.

I don't think there is a company out there that isn't going to have some amount of sag in their springs. I think the company that has the least amount of sag over time is Deaver. I have those on mine thanks to Chris(Skullver) and they are great. After I added some heavier stuff out back I did notice they droped about an inch but havn't budged since. They are probably the most expensive leaf springs out there but they are definately the best and you can have them re-arched at Deaver in the OC for just over $100 if they ever sag at all.

If RE won't help, then I'd get BDS leaf packs. They have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. I almost got a BDS lift kit but it was a little out of my price range at the time, but you can't beat the warranty. The guy at the shop I went to said he sold a BDS lift to a guy who put the lift on a plow truck and the front springs went flat, he exchanged them out for new ones easily.

I got the RE 4.5 leaf springs, and the passanger side is sagigng quite a bit. But, I did invert it becuase I didn't have appropriate bump stops.

I am told that will kill a spring pretty quick.

Regarding reconditioning, will National recondition any spring, or only their own. And, is it really worth it? How long will the reconditioning last?

RE emailed me back and the springs are only 3.5" with a 1"longer shackel, I woud like to know who makes a 4.5" spring set that I can switch out to. I already switched out there shackel for there boomerang. I want to be able to keep the jeep level with the spair on a rear carrier and supplies in the back.

Back