• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS Question (searched)

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
What would be the symptoms of having a dead spot in a TPS for an 88 AW4 cherokee? I think i need a new TPS, just want to be sure. It is very weird idle, and it jumps in and out of OD with one big thunk. Any help is great.

Does it jump in and out of OD while holding a fairly constant speed? Does it shift "funny" elsewhere?

Not sure a "wierd" idle will result from a bad TPS but the funny shifting could be. My '88 keep "searching" between gears at 45 mph. It also wouldn't downshift at highway speeds unless I floored it. Mine was a bad TPS.

You can test yours by following this:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

When i accellerate from a stop, it will shift late, like 200rpm late and in overdrive, it will thunk in the driveline, and feels like the rear end is going to fall out. It only does this when it is at operating temp. PLEASE HELP.

When i accellerate, i keep the pedal steady, and the revs are unsteady, is this a TPS problem?? PS it only does this at operating temp... TIA

Before my TPS went completely out I was having a high idle and every now and then the engine would kinda skip a beat. While on the TPS's last leg the transmission would not want to shift (or even go at all).....so I limped over to Napa to buy the $35 part :repair: ....problem solved.

I went through TPS sensors and MAP sensors in my ZJ like it was my job. Idling around 1,200rpm and clunking really hard into drive because of that. I wouldn't even be able to go into drive. Sometimes it runs fine and then sometimes it doesn't. Usually about sixty bucks at Pepboys, but I'd suggest the five dollar lifetime warranty and just get them for free after that. But yea, you have the symptons of a burnt out of mud filled TPS. Easy fix... Newer Jeeps just clear the code afterwards so the S.O.B knows it's fixed...

Thanks, this is the original 18 year old TPS, so i think a new one is in order. And yes my engine skips a beat all the time!!! I am just wondering, beause this only happens when the engine is at operating temp only????? I would think nit would do it constintly not just heat related??

mine started that way, to do it at operating temperature...then one day (2 weeks ago) it did it when it was cold and thats when it went down hill real rast.

Just changed the TPS, and still a bad tugging from the rear end/driveshaft. U-joints are new though... im stumped, i guess ill have to live with it

Back