• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch-Reinstall

yj4roks

NAXJA Forum User
I am reinstalling the NSS and I cannot get it all the way back on without meeting a lot of resistance. I fear I will break it if I push too hard. Anyone have any suggestions or is there a special tool for installing this?
I broke the old one getting it off the post and don't want to break this new one! I have it to a point where you can just see the shaft through the slot opening in the threaded part that tightens it to the tranny.
Any help would be great...all the install threads I could find didn't give any details on reinstall, just removal.

Take the NSS back off. Completely remove the large nut and tab washer. Make sure the shift shaft is *completely* clean.

You can smear a small amount of grease on the shaft. Slide the NSS on, make sure it's fully seated. Reinstall the tab washer and nut, do not tighten. Reinstall the smaller bolt. Adjust the NSS and torque down the adjuster bolt. Snug down the large nut (do not bend over lock tabs). Make sure you can start in Park and Neutral, shift through all positions, and your backup lights work. Do it again.

Bend the lock tabs over on the NSS large nut. Test the shifting again.

Back