• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

orifice tube ?

4byfour

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 cherokee sport 4x4 4.0 inline 6. My question is does it have an orifice tube, if so where is it.
If not, what takes it's place and where is it ??
Thanks...

If it's the AC you're referring to: "The fixed orifice tube is installed in the liquid line (left-hand drive) or liquid line jumper (right-hand drive) between the outlet of the condenser and the inlet of the evaporator. The fixed orifice tube is located in the end of the liquid line or liquid line jumper that is closest to the condenser outlet tube."

Are we talking about the AC or CCV?

If you are talking about the CCV;

My 2000 has the orifice tube on top of the valve cover, it goes from the rear of the valve cover to a fitting on the intake. Go to the dealer to get a new one.

sorry, yes for the AC. I plan on replacing my compressor, accumulator and orifice tube, but there is also this odd shaped block "expansion block" i think its called that is advised to be replaced also.
can anyone advise on its location and does it also need to be replaced when i replace the other items i mentioned??
thanks..

Where do you see this block? The expansion block does the same thing as the orifice. I don't see anything in my FSM about the block. My 88 uses one so I don't have the orifice.

whenever i search for the compressor for my year(2000) w a 4.0, there are expansion blocks listed and not orifice tubes.
im just wondering how i can know for sure which i need to buy.

FSM says that 2000 has fixed orifice tube, not expansion valve, which is good news price wise. Seems like you could remove it and flush it out, as there are no moving parts or anything. For the record though, this orifice does not "gasify" the liquid, but just changes it from a high pressure liquid to a low pressure liquid. (per the FSM)

Back