• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no four wheel drive front shaft isn't spinning

jphoto

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched.

It's not a vaccum actuated d30. I put the jeep on jack stands today and put it into 4 wheel high. The rear tires both spin..... limited slip? but the front drive shaft isn't spinning so the tires aren't moving and the part-time light does not come on.

If I try to put it into 4-low it pops out of gear and the transfer case won't shift if the transmission is in neutral it sounds like everything is still moving and grinds if I try to put the x-case in high or low 4-wheel-drive with the transmission in neutral. I can only get into 4-high with the transmission in park.

I was hoping it was just a linkage issue but now that the front drive shaft isn't spinning I'm thinking it might be worse.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

With both rear tires off the ground, the engine running, and the transmission in gear, both tires will turn.

With the transmission in park ( 1st manual), the engine off, and the rear on stands, if you try and turn one tire by hand, you won't be able to without a lot of effort if you have a limited slip. Without it, or a worn out limited slip, the other tire will rotate in an opposite direction with ease.

The 4WD thing. It sounds like linkages or shift forks. Check to make sure linkages are all attached and the shaft is in the bushing on the body. It may be that the shift forks are bad, but check the easy stuff first.

-Ron

I'm assuming you have a 231 and not the 242. Try disconnecting the linkage lever at the transfer case and shifting the shaft sticking out of the case with a wrench. With all 4 wheels in the air and the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in 4H or 4L you should be able to turn the back wheels and see at lease one (probably the drivers since the passenger needs the disco engaged) of the front ones turn. If you can't get it to go into 4H or 4L or if one of the front wheels doesn't turn then the problem is probably in the transfer case.

If it does shift into all 4 positions reliably using a wrench then select 4L and put the lever in 4L and adjust the linkage till it lines up.

You don't have a t-case drop do you? Sometimes that can torque the linkage if you didn't also "drop" the linkage bracket.

Thanks I'll test it and get back to you.

It's a stock xj, no lift. NP231 x-case AW4 auto transmission

It's a new project jeep I just picked it up and so far this is the only major problem I've run into.

Diagnosed the problem, I can put it into 4-lo at the case.

I can't adjust the linkage it's too rusty. then realized that one of the linkage mounts pulled out of it's rubber bushing and is no longer where it should be. I think that's causing everything to be off.

Anyone know where to get new linkage parts? I need everything.

Back