• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Fender Flares

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, I did a little searching and couldn't find much.

I did notice that there is a law stating that you are required to have fender flares. or something to prevent mud from coming off the rear of the vehicle.

Has anyone been cited for removing their flares?
Has anyone been getting away with it for years?

Hey folks, I did a little searching and couldn't find much.

I did notice that there is a law stating that you are required to have fender flares. or something to prevent mud from coming off the rear of the vehicle.

Has anyone been cited for removing their flares?
Has anyone been getting away with it for years?

I don't have rear flares.... been stopped for other things but noone has ever commented on my lack of flares or mudflaps.

You planning to move to SoCal?

I am actually from Socal, I just go to school in Upstate NY. SO I'm home for the summer and debating ripping off the flares.

I am actually from Socal, I just go to school in Upstate NY. SO I'm home for the summer and debating ripping off the flares.

I believe the bottom line is that you can do it at your own risk. Most that do it, have no issues. It also depends on what mood the guy who pulled you over is. If he's in a bad mood (or you piss him off), he can write you up for EVERYTHING he can find.

i havent had any for years never had a problem.... just dont drive in orange county and you shouldn't have a problem!

i had my stock flares on with a set of 32x11.50 and the rims had 4" of backspacing so they stuck out a little over an inch for only 4 days and got a 108$ fine for it.

Last edited:
I was pulled over but no ticket. The officer said "no tire sticking beyond the body/flares." He was cool about it.

i had my stock flares on with a set of 32x11.50 and the rims had 4" of backspacing so they stuck out a little over an inch for only 4 day and got a 108$ fine for it.

ouch! and i thought i got the blunt end of a stick. here in ca its a fix it ticked that recently went up from 10 dollars to 25! and most stations charge 15 bucks to sign it off! (i just had one for a license plate light)

ouch! and i thought i got the blunt end of a stick. here in ca its a fix it ticked that recently went up from 10 dollars to 25! and most stations charge 15 bucks to sign it off! (i just had one for a license plate light)

I thought CHP signs off for free..... (missing front plate just over a year ago)

I thought CHP signs off for free..... (missing front plate just over a year ago)
they will but the chp officer that inspected my truck started a whole list of things he didn't like....... including but not limited to "i cant read the month on your plate from ten feet its to faded you need to get that fixed before i will sign this ticket off" and i would totally understand if i was sighted for that or i was being a arse but i was dressed nice (just left work) and polite i waited untill he acknoldged me. i even thanked him for his time.... i don't know.?

i went to a sherrifs office at the west covina court house he looked at it said turn it on said ok here you go...
-chad

Last edited:
they will but the chp officer that inspected my truck started a whole list of things he didn't like....... including but not limited to "i cant read the month on your plate from ten feet its to faded you need to get that fixed before i will sign this ticket off" and i would totally understand if i was sighted for that or i was being a arse but i was dressed nice (just left work) and polite i waited untill he acknoldged me. i even thanked him for his time.... i don't know.?

i went to a sherrifs office at the west covina court house he looked at it said turn it on said ok here you go...
-chad

Interesting.... I got actually pulled over about 5 or so years ago by CHP and I was sure he'll cite me up and down and across.... he pulled me over for a burnt out rear plate light (and i just replaced the damn POS). Anyways, he commented that my running lights were dim (does anyone remember the incandescent lights I had in my tail light boxes? They were nearly invisible). Anyways, after a brief conversation he commented on me needed to address couple issues and I was on my merry way.... with NO tickets! Talk about a surprise ;)

In any case, I have a CHP station right down the street from me, and they've looked at my jeep couple times and have never pulled me over for no flares, no mud flaps or any other oddities that I have ;) And I am in OC.

I got a fix it ticket for not having fender flares. There is one PRICK of a cop that drives the comercial inforcement truck here in Beaumont, and he is about the only one that messes with anyone. I think he has little man syndrome.

My tires stick out about 4 inches out past the fender, and I have NEVER been bothered about it, and hopefully tomorrow it will be doorless to, so an even bigger attention getter, ill let you know how that goes : )

Interesting. Well thank you much all.

I'm going to go ahead and fix my broken one. And run with them on for a few weeks. I have to go get my smog check done this week and get my heep registered again. Then off they come

I have cut and raised rears and no fronts and so far haven't had any problems. However the backspacing on my wheels keeps the tires sucked in almost as close as stock. Sucks for turning radius, but my 33s are almost fully covered out back and would be up front if I had flares. Eventually though, I will be getting spacers or different wheels to push the fronts out and regain my turning radius.

i had my stock flares on with a set of 32x11.50 and the rims had 4" of backspacing so they stuck out a little over an inch for only 4 days and got a 108$ fine for it.

Ouch. Just goes to show you, YMMV. I have 35x12.50 with 3.75" backspacing, no flares and cut fenders to the hilt, and it's been that way for years. I've even been pulled over several times. Fairly recently, twice in one month, and I don't even DD mine, it was just to and from the trail. They never mentioned the tire thing.

Is this the 'let me tell you about how almost illegal my rig is' thread?

:D

I was driving around in Big Bear last year (wait, was it summer before last?)
right after my cage build. No rear fenders....almost no front fenders, heck, I'm not sure my turn signals were working at that time.
I end up getting followed by a Sheriff, then a CHP, and they just kept driving on after I turned.
Okay, it was in Big Bear......

Now its a trailer queen!

No flares here and no issues yet...

I have a blown tail light, no plate light (haven't reinstalled them) and expired tags (lost in the mail).

I guess i am playing with evil.

Back