• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving with no rear brakes????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so i know this probably isnt the safest idea but Im curious to what would happen.

I am in the middle of doing a rear brake job on my 89 jeep cherokee. I have completed one side and the other side is completly taken apart.

the parts person screwed up and Im waiting untill tomorrow to get parts to finnish the rear drivers side brakes

my question is how dangerous would it be for me to put a tire on and drive around with no shoes or anything set up?

im not planning on doing any hwy driving or anywhere where i need to drive fast, just need to get around pick soem things up

Think how much your E-brake slows you down when you pull it. Not much?
So think normal braking - Ebrake = what your considering.
You would probably be ok, i might turn on the flashers just so other people know to give a little extra room.
Def not the safest thing, but you probably wont die.

The shoes pressing against the drum is all that keeps the pistons in the wheel cyl from popping out. (note: this is a bad thing!).

You can pinch off the line but then you'd have to replace/repair it, then bleed the brakes.

Put the other side back together or wait.

Back