• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built an Overhead console

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
console3.jpg

Bench testing everything.
console2.jpg

console.jpg

I had to find a place to mount my cb and switches again. I had an overhead in the rolled jeep and like it so I built one for the rebuild. I pulled some lights out of an Excursion to use in place of the dome light. I think its about 14 gauge plate and I used my buddys bolts for his hard top to secure it to some tabs welded onto the tubing. I think it turned out good. Thought I would share.

I like it, nice work. Gives me a few ideas too, thanks.

Now you should throw a trip computer/temp/compass in there to complete the package!

I pulled the harness and console out of the rolled one but I havn't wired it into this one yet. I was thinking about wiring in a scan gauge and placing it between the switches and cb. I might still do the trip computer, its just putting in the harness is going to be a pain in the butt. There is still room to put the front half in the stock location.

I pulled the harness and console out of the rolled one but I havn't wired it into this one yet. I was thinking about wiring in a scan gauge and placing it between the switches and cb. I might still do the trip computer, its just putting in the harness is going to be a pain in the butt. There is still room to put the front half in the stock location.

You dont have to put the harness in now, it looks like you've got a power source up there, which means all the wires are already run up there for the trip computer(the CCD bus is run up to the RKE unit in the factory domelight). The only thing you would be missing is the outside temp sensor(if you didn't want to install the factory harness).

console3.jpg

Bench testing everything.
console2.jpg

console.jpg

I had to find a place to mount my cb and switches again. I had an overhead in the rolled jeep and like it so I built one for the rebuild. I pulled some lights out of an Excursion to use in place of the dome light. I think its about 14 gauge plate and I used my buddys bolts for his hard top to secure it to some tabs welded onto the tubing. I think it turned out good. Thought I would share.

Lookin good!!!:thumbup:

You dont have to put the harness in now, it looks like you've got a power source up there, which means all the wires are already run up there for the trip computer(the CCD bus is run up to the RKE unit in the factory domelight). The only thing you would be missing is the outside temp sensor(if you didn't want to install the factory harness).
I'll have to check this out I guess, I just figured that I would need the harness.

Awesome work. How much room is there between the face of the console and the roof? And where'd you run the wiring?
Billy

I have about 6" worth of room where the cb is and about 2.5" where the lights are.

I have a "Fitch Box" so I ran my one cat5 cable down the passenger side door post out to the relay box under the hood.

I'll have to check this out I guess, I just figured that I would need the harness.

Ya, if you don't have the harness and want to add a factory overhead console then you have to run three wires, temp sensor +/-, and power switched power.

It looks like you have switched power up there already, and since the CCD bus is run up there for the keyless, you can add the trip computer without running any more wires.

My power was just from the wiring from the overhead light that was in there. I used that for the cb/switches and map lights.

ah, well you really need a switched power for when the engine is running.

it may be a pain, but it sounds like installing that harness is the easiest thing at this point.

Back