• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle Control Valve opening..

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
The control valve for the idle keeps on opening when it shouldnt. The jeep misfires real bad, and you can hear the intake just sucking all kinds of air. I have replaced CPS, TPS, and the IAC, still having the same problem. It did it about a week ago, went away, and now its doing the same thing again, I'm really frustrated and just want to fix it!! any help would be greatly appreciated

91 4.0l HO manual

I have had my jeep run EXACTLY like that before. It was right after I pulled the tranny. It turned out that I damaged the CPS in the process. I replaced it and it was fine. If you hadn't already replaced it I would say to do so. Any codes?

I have replaced the cps, its brand new. It is thrwoing up quite a few codes including

23 intake air temp sensor
15 veh speed sensor
14 map sensor
54 dist sync pickup
13 map sensor
24 tps

I dont think there is actually somthing wrong with every single one of these, I just think that one of them, whichever is bad, is screwing with the rest.

Does it do it right at startup? I am more familiar with renix but I believe the cam\sync sensor works in the same way a renix does someone jump in here if I am wrong. Try unplugging it (distributor sensor) and starting it, if it acts the same, shut it off and try again. Do this a few times and see if it cycles to where it runs fine. If it acts no different than when plugged in I would say that's the problem.

How about testing the components that seem to be throwing codes with a multimeter? Before that though, have you tried unplugging and replugging each of the plugs to these components to scratch new contact surfaces in case they are corroded a little? Also disassembling all ground connections, cleaning them and reassembling them can do no harm, only good.

Back