• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar question for 96 XJ 4x4

efernald

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting my 96 XJ back to stock and I need to know if the rear sway bar goes over the exhaust or under it? if anyone has a pic that would be helpful too. It looks like it should sit on top of the exhaust but before I start wrenching i'd like to know.
Thanks
Eric

i've been without sway bars for 6 years. I pulled them out of storage to re-install because the XJ is going to be my 17yo daughter's new ride... So, i was looking for the original location above or below the exhaust.
Eric

Eric,
Front sway bars are needed for safety, especially for newer drivers. The rear can probably be kept in storage. With the "Up Country" option the rear sway was deleted from the factory.

IMHO the best thing for any inexperienced driver is a good defensive driving course. We sent our kids to http://www.advanceddrivingdynamics.com located in the parking lot of Irwindale Speedway and taught by an ex CanAm race driver. Our boy is now 25 and married with NO tickets and NO accidents. Our 28 yr. old daughter had a minor "accident" when someone going too fast on a narrow street ran into her open door, but no tickets!
Price the smallest "accident" and it's money well spent.

Sorry about going on "off topic", but . . .
Mike

There are lots of opinoions for and against the rear sway bar. Personally, I do not think having one will hurt. My 1994 had one that I removed when I added another full leaf in the to get some lift. My 1996 with the country package had it removed at the factory. Both handles well at highway speeds and off road.

i've been without sway bars for 6 years. I pulled them out of storage to re-install because the XJ is going to be my 17yo daughter's new ride... So, i was looking for the original location above or below the exhaust.
Eric

Help a brother out. He is not looking for reason to have it or not.

It has been a long time since I had mine on but I think it was under the exhaust. I could be wrong. Put it on and see what works best. I am thinking under.

Help a brother out. He is not looking for reason to have it or not.

It has been a long time since I had mine on but I think it was under the exhaust. I could be wrong. Put it on and see what works best. I am thinking under.

I am sorry, I cannot give specifics, I am in the Caribbean and the XJ is in Miami.

Back