• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap

lamburg

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0 out of a 2000 Cherokee and was wondering what years I could swap it into with little modification. My 2000 was totalled and I want to buy an older jeep to swap everything into. Also does anyone know if the 4.0 from my 2000 will run even though I rolled it and it was on its hood for some time.

Did you shut the motor off right way or did it run upside down for a long time.. if you shut it off right away, worst case, the cylinders will have some oil in them, drain them, add fluids respectivly and away you go. you can easily do the swap but I would say you will need to swap the wiring harness, and computer over as a minumum to make it work.. other minor things such as throttle cables ect will be needed as well

twisted_ed said:
Did you shut the motor off right way or did it run upside down for a long time.. if you shut it off right away, worst case, the cylinders will have some oil in them, drain them, add fluids respectivly and away you go. you can easily do the swap but I would say you will need to swap the wiring harness, and computer over as a minumum to make it work.. other minor things such as throttle cables ect will be needed as well

Thanks cause I thinkin about a 92 maybe and swaping that over, but I'm not sure how long it ran upside down.

sorry for the temporary thread hijack, I want to put my 88 4.0 into a 91 with a bad motor. In a nutshellwhat's involved (compatability wise?) thanks in advance and sorry for the hijack!

Use the 88' short block and the 91' head and other components in the 91'. 87-90 uses the RENIX system and the head is slightly different.

Back