• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start after low fuel

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I have run my fuel tank fairly low as of lately. My truck was parked on an incline over the past 2 days. Went to start up this morning and started up fine...as it idled, is started to sputter then died. Tried again, started up and sputtered, then the idle kicked up to keep it from dying. died again, and so on. It tries to turn over, but won't catch. Got truck off the incline and added about 4 gallons. Still nothing. It's trying but won't go. I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key to "on" position. Pump is about 4 years old. Fuel filter about 4 years old as well, but hasn't been driven daily. Any tricks to get this sucker going? I have put the pedal to the floor as well in hopes that it needed more fuel to the engine. Don't think I flooded it, but who knows anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated. Truck has started the first time for 9 years straight. thanks!

Scott

x2 on Old Man's write up.

Just to Nag at you, try not to get below 1/4 tank, as that is when you really start to suck the crud out of the tank.

Also, 4 years on a fuel filter is WAY past reasonable, especially since ethanol which tends to loosen up years of crud and send it happily along the fuel system.

You guys just saved my Memorial Day weekend. The computer got "confused" by me pushing the pedal after it wouldn't stay running. Disconnected the battery cable for a bit, 3 tries and it was running again at normal idle.

I hear you on the 1/4 tank...I should know better.

Thanks!

Have a great weekend!

Congrats and good weekend for you and yours.

:cheers:

Back