• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another tranny wiring/cable question

rockhounds4x4

NAXJA Forum User
again i am transplanting an aw4 into a 98 xj in place of the ax-15

i removed the factory harness from the xj and installed a factory harness that is set up for the aw4, i had to remove and reinsert the 32 pins in the main connector under the dash so they were in the proper places (PITA by the way)

so far everything seems to be going along well.

the question i have is about the neutral position switch and the second cable that ran to the steering column. i assume that once the tranny is installed and plugged in I will be able to turn the truck over and start it. as i changed the harness out the clutch position switch wiring no longer exists so at this point the rig will do everything but start. should this be the case?

will that second cable keep the rig from starting as it does not have any way to be installed in the required switch as it does not exist. i think not,

If the engine is cranking, then the NSS isn't the issue. The second cable up into the steering column is probably for the interlock that prevents you from pulling the key unless the shifter is in park.

The engine isn't doing anything. Again I don't have the tranny in yet. Just trying to get some feedback.

Back