• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I weld stainless with 75/25?

shouldnt need the stainless wire either.

Stainless welds really easily, and pretty much always looks good.

My upper control arm mount on my front axle is 2.5x.120 stianless (with some plating) and its just mig welded on with normal wire and 75/25 gas.

(I did it with my 110V mig too! :eyes:)

The wire will rust if I don't paint it though, correct?
Thanks Opie,
Billy

Correct...but you don't wanna use anything stainless with anything you've used mild on anyway. Tis' why a lot of manufacturers charge out the ass for stainless products. You typically need a separate line to produce it all on. Even using a brush you used on mild steel will make the stainless rust. If it's just exhaust I wouldn't sweat it. ;) Paint high temp and be happy.

IIRC from my limited knowledge of stainless; if carbon gets injected into the stainless material, it will cause the stainless to rust (even from the shielding gas). like stated earlier with using only certain tools and consumables on stainless that have never touched mild carbon steel.

sounds like the answer you're looking for is 'yes.' it can't hurt to try a test piece or two... but i do have to raise the question: what's the point in having stainless pipe if you weld the seam with something that will rust?

sounds like the answer you're looking for is 'yes.' it can't hurt to try a test piece or two... but i do have to raise the question: what's the point in having stainless pipe if you weld the seam with something that will rust?

My main motivation for the stainless tube is so that I can feel better about wrapping it. I don't want to have to unwrap it once a year (assuming the wrap actually holds up) to make sure the tube isn't rusting away underneath.

So... do you guys think the whole tube will be compromised or just the part that's near the weld?

Thanks for the advice,
Billy

IIRC from my limited knowledge of stainless; if carbon gets injected into the stainless material, it will cause the stainless to rust (even from the shielding gas). like stated earlier with using only certain tools and consumables on stainless that have never touched mild carbon steel.

actually forms carbides in the weld which surround the chromium, which gives stainless it's corrosion resistant properties. With the chromium isolated by the carbides it can't provide an corrosion protection. Weld area is the only place effected.

I was pretty sure there could be issues with stainless cracking if you don't use a stainless filler but ti's been awhile since I've looked at stainless welding.

actually forms carbides in the weld which surround the chromium, which gives stainless it's corrosion resistant properties. With the chromium isolated by the carbides it can't provide an corrosion protection. Weld area is the only place effected.

I was pretty sure there could be issues with stainless cracking if you don't use a stainless filler but ti's been awhile since I've looked at stainless welding.

The likely hood that SS base material will crack is indeed higher, due to simply the fact that your welding with the wrong wire! It essentially comes from the mild steel weld expanding at a different rate than the surrounding stainless. 308L is really the wire that should be used, but honestly I've seen MANY SS exhausts welded with mild wire which are holding up just fine. I would weld it up, coat the welded area with a good high heat paint, and call it good.

Obviously it will eventually start rusting from the inside out, but your unibody will likely be a pile of crap before that happens. ;)

Back