• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle disconnect w/242?

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
my friends jeep: 1995 4.0 aw4 np242 4 door 3.73s

Question: long story short,he messed up his front end really bad and went and found a junk yard axle with matching 3.73 gears. problem is he didn't know anybetter and grabbed an 85? disconnect. how can he make this work with the 242? any help is always appreciated.

i've been using this forum for a long time and everyone is always willing to help point me in the right direction. thanks to everyone on the forum. i finally got my name in red so i don't feel like a free loader anymore!

Here is a JP Magazine article, please read option #3: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...154_0904_dana_30_vacume_disconnect/index.html

Once upon a time (before I bought and installed the real Posi-Lok) I did essentially what JP Magazine did in option #3, but instead of drilling and using a bolt and nut, I found an old shock bolt sleeve with the right ID and cut it to the correct length, then slipped the fork rod through it and installed the three clips so that the axle was always engaged. Quick, simple, foolproof. Cost was nothing, took fifteen minutes and that included making a new paper gasket.

thanks everyone. i had considered this but as i have never had the axle with disconnect i wasn't sure. i'll get it worked out for him. thanks again.

Back