• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dartiness while braking

scott in NH

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I haven't been on the site much in the last year or so because, even at 204K, my 90 XJ is running great!
Today I have a suspension or brake question. The Jeep goes as straight as an arrow down any road, has no unusual tire wear and brakes straight at moderate speeds. At highway speeds it doesn't pull while braking but exibits a dartiness to any steering input intentional or otherwise. It has been this way more or less since I have owned it but may be getting worse. I have replaced both front rotors and pads, one rear wheel cylinder and rear shoes. Tie rod ends are tight, and like I said, no unusual wear or pulling, you can let go of the steering indefinitely and still be going straight. So what do you think? control arm bushings? to little castor? Or?
thanks,
Scott

I thought of that, but wouldn't that make it pull and or show more wear on one side? It seems like it may want to dart left initially, but will dart to the right with any correction (equal opportunity darter!)

Back