• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo & Odometer busted...

jesterbomb

NAXJA Forum User
Okay Guys, help me out if you can.

1991 4.0L HO, 5 Speed Transmission, Full gauge package (thankfully), 4 door, 4wd. Also, no lift. :-( Yet.

Here's the issue. For a while now my speedometer will just... not work. It never jumps around or gives inaccurate readings, it just occasionally sits at zero. Fortunately I know exactly what my Tach reads at various speeds in each gear, so I am in no danger of inadvertantly speeding.

After a while, twenty minutes or so, it will occasionally start working all of a sudden, without me doing a damn thing and that includes hitting bumps in the road. It never lasts for long and it doesn't happen that often. But... When it does that, my engine doesn't want to idle properly. When I put the clutch in to sit at a red light, the revs drop way down and the engine damn near stalls.

I never really worried about it too much, until yesterday I noticed that my odometer was ALSO not working when the speedo was doing it's misbehaving trick. And in fifth gear on the highway, my little idiot light telling me to shift up a gear was coming on.

That's the situation.

Can anyone give me some clues as to what I should be looking into here? What could possibly be casing this, etc?

Thanks ahead of time.

91-96 gauges and 97-01 have electric speedo. I would suggest pulling your gauges, and checking your connectors, maybe clean them up and reinstall. Probably loose connector or maybe bent pins. its just a few screws.

electric speedos have speed sensor on the tranfercase that converts the rotation of the speedo gear into an electrical signal. you need the speedo sensor

Okay Johnnie, I know that is easy enough. I will find the time this weekend somehow to pull it apart and give things a good careful cleaning.

89xj, Are you indicating that I should check the transfer case connection and the gear itself if the gauge cleaning thing doesn't work?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this.

Okay Guys, help me out if you can.

1991 4.0L HO, 5 Speed Transmission, Full gauge package (thankfully), 4 door, 4wd. Also, no lift. :-( Yet.

Here's the issue. For a while now my speedometer will just... not work. It never jumps around or gives inaccurate readings, it just occasionally sits at zero. Fortunately I know exactly what my Tach reads at various speeds in each gear, so I am in no danger of inadvertantly speeding.

After a while, twenty minutes or so, it will occasionally start working all of a sudden, without me doing a damn thing and that includes hitting bumps in the road. It never lasts for long and it doesn't happen that often. But... When it does that, my engine doesn't want to idle properly. When I put the clutch in to sit at a red light, the revs drop way down and the engine damn near stalls.

I never really worried about it too much, until yesterday I noticed that my odometer was ALSO not working when the speedo was doing it's misbehaving trick. And in fifth gear on the highway, my little idiot light telling me to shift up a gear was coming on.

That's the situation.

Can anyone give me some clues as to what I should be looking into here? What could possibly be casing this, etc?

Thanks ahead of time.

I have the same year with an AW4 NP242 and the same problem. I replaced the vehicle speed sensor with a new one, problem persists. I checked the harness hookup at the vss, one wire was brittle and broke upon handling it, spliced in a new length of wire using the factory harness and pins. Problem persists. I removed the gauge cluster from the dash, disassembled the speedo unit from it, chacked and cleaned all of the brass circuit board lines on the back as well as the mini-harness the speedo plugs into and the ground/assembly screws, problem persists. I'm at the point where I'm going to take it in to a reputable auto electric place, because I'm tired of wasting my time and having no speedo or odo.

Sorry I don't have your answer, but if after checking the above, you may need to take it in or find someone local who's good with this kind of stuff to give you a hand.

Back