• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ build questions

Stukboy

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have been wheeling a YJ/buggy on 36s, with waggy 44s, lockers, cage, 5 points, 4 link rear and spring over front. I have been wheeling for about 13 years and have done all the work on my YJ myself. I also compete in the RCRocks series in class 3 and plan on doing it with the XJ.
Anyway, It's seen better days and I just picked up a 95XJ 4dr 4.0, auto, 231tcase. It is bone stock and pretty much a blank canvas.
My intention is to build it into my new trail rig. It will see NO road miles just trail.
My concerns about unibody stiffeners has been addressed in a previous thread and I plan on installing them first before any sliders, cage, door removal, skidplates and axle swaps.
So what are my questions you ask??
First, Is there a tread or has anyone fabed a front winch bumper to hold a Warn 8274? I will be keeping mine I hope.
Second, besides the couple write ups regarding internal and exo cages I didn't notice anyone mentioning weight. How heavy are the exos on the pics i've seen?
Third, I plan in reusing my custom 4 link rear setup. Has anyone done this? (not buying Rock Krawlers and bolting it in)
Fourth, will I be making it to stiff if I incorperate the internal cage into the sliders and unibody frame stiffeners?
I would assume that the weight will help it keep some flexibility.
Fifth, Has anyone replaced the door glass with plexiglass? I have a 10 year old and 2-1/2 year old that love wheeling in my YJ but I never worry about glass because I have no doors, windshield, windows or top.
I know it's a lot of questions and feel confident the experience here will help me get an answer to all of them.
Stukboy

For unibody stiffeners I would call up Brian at HD offroad engineering and get a set of his unibody stiffeners i thinik they run 130 shipped. Brian and his partner Adam are great dudes and Brian does some amazing work and has built a massive XJ buggy with 42's and all kinds of nonsense. He's not nice to it either and it seems to hold up great! Not sure about the other stuff but :thumbup: for HD offroad!

Another stiffiner to look at is Ruffstuff. It is longer and wraps to floor, allowing for easier fillet weld. I got a TNT before others existed.

Stiffiners were the most satisifying mod I have done.

Back