• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad axle Seal?

scuba413

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I had a bad axle seal after changing a front U joint. I cleaned it all up the first time it leaked thinking it was fluid in the shaft. But after driving another thirty miles it was leaking down the inside of the tire. But it just sat for a week and a half and was dry as a bone no leaking. Could there still be fluid in the shaft or do they not slowly leak sitting still??

Hard to say without seeing it.. Just keep a eye on it.

Nick

I've had them dribble a bit after I R&R the axle shaft, it's normal because diff fluid driibles into the tube when you pull the shaft. I've had them appear to leak for a couple days after assembly, but it's the fluid in the tube leaching out.

Just keep and eye on it. Also, check you fluid level. It should be level with the bottom of the plug. If it flows out after you pull the plug, it's a bit over full. If you stick your pinky in there and you don't get it oily, it's too low (don't stick your pinky in too far, you don't want to take the cover off and visit the E-Room to have them take it off ;) )

If the fluid level is fine, and it continues to leak after driving it for a while, it's time to do the seal. I recomend that when you R&R an axle shaft to clean the axle tubes and grease the machined surface the seal rides on before you re-install the shaft. This will prevent you from dragging dirt into the seal, or running the seal when dry.

-Ron

I thought I had a bad axle seal after changing a front U joint. I cleaned it all up the first time it leaked thinking it was fluid in the shaft. But after driving another thirty miles it was leaking down the inside of the tire. But it just sat for a week and a half and was dry as a bone no leaking. Could there still be fluid in the shaft or do they not slowly leak sitting still??

Haha I do have the same problem.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=995699

'92 XJ

I had that problem after converting my disco axle to a non-disco.

I think it was a bent housing or shaft. Somtimes it would leak like crazy, other times completely dry for weeks.

Back