• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling steering box...what to watch for

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

this weekend im pulling my steering box to begin modifying it for hydro assist. what are some things i should watch out for when i do it. i know i shouldn't turn the wheel because of the clock spring. should i tie the wheel to the seat or something to make sure i dont twist the steering shaft while doing it

anything else?

thanks

Its cake but sometimes the power steering hoses can be a pain to break loose. If your not going to re-use them then just cut them.

dont worry i got a parts one (not assembled) i can send if you mess it up

I don't know what year you have, but I know on both my '99's, the hose going to the rear of the reservoir pretty much fused to the little nipple on the back that is goes over.

I tried pulling it off the first one, and ended up breaking the barb off the reservoir. The next one I made sure to slice the line. There is more than enough hose left over to clean up the cut, then reattach it.

That line took a while to break lose. I used a pair of pliers and gently grabbed it and twisted it, with WD40, until it broke lose.

Back