• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sank the jeep, filled trans with water, now what

MTBracer367

NAXJA Forum User
i swampedc my jeep pretty good the other day when out wheeling ended up hydro locking the motor and filling my ax-15 with water and had to drive it home several miles

so now i drained my trans and it was a milkshake and now i wanna make sure all to water is cleaned out of it
how do i do this?
i already shot a little wd-40 through it from the shifter down would anyone recomend doing anythign extra to assure it's all cleared out?
i don't even know if the tranny is still any good so i don't wanna soend any insane amount of money on oils or anything so tell me what you think

thank you,
-Dylan

what i would grab some cheap gear oil or atf what ever the ax-15 takes and do a fill and flush two or three times when it is coming out clean fill it up with good fluid and go i would do the t-case,and diffs, too

Grab some cheap 10w30 motor oil and fill, drive, drain, fill a couple of times until what comes out is nearly as clean as what goes in.

I've swamped my tranny many times, so badly once that what came out was mud. I wish I had a picture, but in the bottle I drained it into, after the fluid settled, the bottom 1/3 was dirt/mud and the rest was basically water.

All you need to do is disconnect the return line at the tranny and turn it into a bucket. Start the jeep up in Park and let it run. As it's running it will pump out the tranny fluid completely through that hose. Make sure you are adding tranny fluid at the same time so you don't run it dry. Keep doing it until clean tranny fluid starts to come out.

And if you really want, take the tranny pan off and replace the filter and clean out the pan.

It only takes literally 5 minutes to flush the tranny this way and works great. A shop charges you $120 or more to do this.

My tranny works great and has 170k miles on it. These tranny's can take a beating so don't just assume it's no good before doing this flush.

FYI: flushing it by just draining what's in the tranny pan will do nothing. You can do that type of flush 10 times and you still won't get clean tranny fluid. I spent lots of money on tranny fluid and looooots of time doing that before I learned this trick.

Last edited:
All you need to do is disconnect the return line at the tranny and turn it into a bucket. Start the jeep up in Park and let it run. As it's running it will pump out the tranny fluid completely through that hose. Make sure you are adding tranny fluid at the same time so you don't run it dry. Keep doing it until clean tranny fluid starts to come out.

Um, there's no "Park" on an AX15 (note original post).

yes i locked the motor but was able to pump the water out with out the spark plugs in it

and i ended up flushing hte tranny with a mixture of cheap walmart motor oil and cheap walmart gear oil annd after a good 9-10 flushes it's all good again still not great but i've put that thing through hell and back so i wasn't expecting it to be perfact

jeepster_259, when i originally drained it it was like an oily mudy milkshake and the water i was in wasn't even that muddy i can only imagine how yours was lol

thanks for the help you guys really appricate it

-Dylan

EDIT: i also changed all the other fluids too just for the record

Back