• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard cruise upgrade from new parts

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
I was just browsing around the 'junkyard upgrades thread condensed' topic, and was wondering if you can order the parts for the cruise control upgrade from chrysler.
The original thread reads:
I have a 2000 XJ, and added cruise from the junkyard for $30!!

You need the underhood servo, with its vacuum line and throttle cable. The holes for it are already in the pass fender. The wiring plug was there also. Even the throttle cable bracket and throttle body were set up to accept the cruise cable. The vacuum line at the servo mounting point even has a "T" fitting with a small cap on it. Just take off the cap and plug on the servo's vacuum line.

You will also need the switches off the steering wheel. This means you need to take off the airbag so be sure to disconnect the battery. Needed a small torx bit to get the switches off. They bolt right on in place of the "blanks" on my steering wheel.

You also need the clockspring that sits behind the steering wheel. Pull you own wheel first so you know what tools you need. The first time I went I was not prepared. You need a good steering wheel puller. The clockspring is what connects the wires from the airbag and switches to the rest of the wiring, allowing the steering wheel to turn.

BE CAREFUL--apparently the switches from 98 or 99 and down and 99 or 2000 and up are different EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK IDENTICAL. Sorry I don't know exactly, I wasn't paying attention when I pulled my first set but they did not work. I went back and got some off a 2000 (after doing some research) plugged them in and BANG the green "cruise" light on the dash lit up when I pushed on. Works like a charm and easy.

Sorry don't know how much work is involved in the earlier models.

I haven't been able to find any 2000/2001's in my area w/ cruise, and having only one hand, it'd be veeeery handy to add. A friend of mine works at a jeep dealer that just lost its franchise, and I need to move to get these parts through him before they can't order parts anymore.
Thanks for your help!

The only part you NEED from a 1999-2001 XJ for the cruise control is the switches, you could order those parts new from the dealer to get them, and then piece together the other parts.

All 97-01 cruise clocksprings are the same, and all actuators/servos are the same for the high outputs.

I have a actuator/servo from a 93 in my 00, the plug is different from 96- to 97+, but its the same wiring so if you splice in the older connector you will be fine.

Back