• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I wire in power seat base?

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out how to wire in the power seat base. I looked under my seat and didn't see a connector hanging out so I'm going to have to fashion one. But I have no idea where that needs to go in order for the seat to operate.

did you check under the carpet? that's where mine was. i think there's an access hole, but i cant remember

Is there any obvious indicator as to which wire does what? The ZJ seats I put in had a red, black, and two others (for the heater controls, which I didn't use). I couldn't find any harnesses under the carpet, so I just grounded the black and ran the red to the fuse panel, through the console and dash.

XJ seats not that obvious? What year jeep, what seats, what are the wire colors, etc?

Well there is a connector from the seat. Beyond that from the buttons there are yellow black and red wires. I looked in the access hole under the seat of my 2001 XJ and couldn't find any connector.

The seat base is out of a 97 XJ. It's not for a heated seat. Just the power controls.

Oh looks like red and black. So I should clip the connector off and go buy some wiring?? I've never done any wiring but this sounds simple enough. Do I need to buy a fuse??? Break it down barney style for me.

What type of wiring should I use???

Read the writeup and went and bought some wiring today. I did a test run on a battery and the seat base works well. I ripped a connector that matches the connector. So all I need to do is splice the red and black wires and run them.

I can run those to the fusebox correct? I would ground the black wire to the floor and run the red wire to the fusebox?

yea, I have enough extra stuff in my trail truck that I bought a power distro box from advance and ran another dedicated opwer box for accessories. It is easier than splicing off the fuse box every time. Give the box 12 volts and from then on you just plug in a spade connector and pop in a fuse when you need a power line.

Well I looked at how I might wire in the power seat into the factory fuse box and decided that it will be way more trouble than its worth.

I used a fuse tap in an open slot. Haven't gotten around to a proper distro, although I probably will when I redo my main cables. Few male/female fully insulated spades (so I can disco/reconnect the wires easily), a ring terminal for the ground screw, and a tap. Doesn't get much easier, works fine, easily removed/modified.

DSCF5064.jpg

Ugh, big fuzzy picture. Still trying to get the hang of my camera.

Back