• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Box/Electrical Unit under the Driver's Seat

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought my jeep (97 4.0 Auto), I noticed a box with atleast 1 electrical connection under the driver's seat. I didn't think much about it. Fast forward to afew weeks back. I scored a complete interior from a wrecked 2000 XJ (my interior was trashed).

Last weekend, I decided to swap the interior. After I got everything apart and started laying down the new carpet, I realized that the new carpet had had a small "X" cut in that spot, and the old carpet had a square cut out.

Now that really got me to wondering. I didn't get any pics of the box when the carpet was out, because I was rushed to get the interior swap done. Anyone know what it could be?

It the airbag control module. There was a factory recall in about 1999 to have the unit relocated under the center console. There were associated corrosion problems with it being located there, due to the low spot under the seat. It gets relocated on top for the center floor tunnel, under the center console.

Schedule an appointment with your dealership to have it relocated. It's free to do so.

It the airbag control module. There was a factory recall in about 1999 to have the unit relocated under the center console. There were associated corrosion problems with it being located there, due to the low spot under the seat. It gets relocated on top for the center floor tunnel, under the center console.

Schedule an appointment with your dealership to have it relocated. It's free to do so.

Thanks for the info. I wish I would have known that before I cut a hole in my new carpet for the damned box. :flame:

Back