• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Oil Press ?

JAS

NAXJA Forum User
'97 4.0 Liter with 150K on the clock.

This past summer I pulled off the freeway and into a parking lot. It was in the upper 90's for temp and my oil pressure fell to 0 (zero) dash lights came on and everything. I would say that this engine never had a high oil pressure problem but it had never went to zero before. Engine temp was running about 215 at the time that it went to 0 PSI.

I shut it down quickly and the oil level check was good. I let it cool for about 30 minutes and fired it back up and it was OK... Not real high but about 10-15 PSI at idle and maybe 35 PSI at freeway speeds. It is still lower than I like but it has never gone back to 0

I am thinking of opening this engine up and putting in a new oil pump... The engine still has good power, no knocks and no lifter noise, does not burn oil and does not leak. I figure for about a C-Note I can buy the insurance to help me get 250K+ onto this engine with a new oil pump.

I always have run synthetic and this was Mobil 1 5w30 oil. And I am wondering is it time to switch to heavier oil and maybe thow in the new oil pump.

The jeep now gets about 3-5K miles per year as it is only driven to the trail heads and the ocasional pleasure ride around town.

Back