• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First bump in the road

Mudd Digga

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just got my first XJ yesterday and now I have a couple of issues that I'm sure there may be many answers.:banghead: When I first take off I hear a rattle or bumping noise in the rear of the truck and would like to hear any thoughts. Also when I run between 50 and 55 then let off the gas it seems to shimmy fairly hard but it doesn't do that everytime. I know this is going to be a work in progress getting this where I would like it to be but any advice would be appreciated. I just realized this may be in the wrong forum..sorry I'm new to this place. I have no idea how to move it or if I can.

Last edited:
one way to figure out isn't there.

mine shimmys from 50-55 :)

found out what DW is like on the interstate at 65 today!
...not cool

Is that a hard fix??
Haynes or Chilton is a good instructional repair guide. Takes some sockets, ratchet, maybe a vice or press, pliers, and a new u joint. If your tool box consist of a phillips and pliers in the kitchen junk drawer its a bit of a task.

I would also check the exhaust. You may have a hanger lose or a hole somewhere.

X2 on the exhaust. Mine rattles on the unibody above the rear axle, well it did till the BFH did a little clearancing. :)

Do not hesitate to come visit me. The bump in the rear could be a loose shock mount or broken shock bolt too. To check the U-joints lay under the jeep, make sure it is off and in park, and try to wiggle the rear DS up and down and side to side. If it moves at all it has something wrong. Check for loose strap bolts on the axle yoke where the DS mounts too. The shimmy when you let off the gas could be a rear axle pinion bearing too. If you need some help you and Dave come by the shop and we wil figure it out. Oh yea, generally speaking this stuff goes in OEM tech. I'll move it now.

Don't forget to check your transmission and engine mounts.

Do not hesitate to come visit me. The bump in the rear could be a loose shock mount or broken shock bolt too. To check the U-joints lay under the jeep, make sure it is off and in park, and try to wiggle the rear DS up and down and side to side. If it moves at all it has something wrong. Check for loose strap bolts on the axle yoke where the DS mounts too. The shimmy when you let off the gas could be a rear axle pinion bearing too. If you need some help you and Dave come by the shop and we wil figure it out. Oh yea, generally speaking this stuff goes in OEM tech. I'll move it now.

Yeah it may be a shock mount mine sounds like i have Neil Peart(sp?) from Rush under there on gravel roads! :D

Back