• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size tires?

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know that this question has been beat to death, but I'd like some input on my particular set-up.

I've just installed a 4" lift and I'm going to cut the fenders to fit TJ flares. I would like to install 33x12.5 tires on it, but I'm thinking that might be a bit large for this set-up. Also, what kind of backspacing should I look for?

Any input would be appreciated,
Robert

The 33's will fit but you will need bumpstops so that the tires do not hit.

I have about 4.5" of lift and YJ flares (TJ's you can trim a little bit more in the rear if you want to) and I think they work ok, but would be better with about 6" of lift (I will be doing eventually). If you do want to run the 33's on the 4" of lift it can work with the right bumpstops and I would recommend putting the TJ flares on the door and fender so that they are as high as possible (you will have to cut above the inner fender and then reattach it up higher, you should be able to find write ups on this all over the web).

I have 3.75" BS but 4 or 4.25 should also work.

Michael

I didn't realize that there was a difference between YJ and TJ flares; which ones will work best?

Also, my XJ is a 2 door, so the rears shouldn't be as much trouble.

Robert

When I ran a 4" lift I was running 32x11.50's on 4.5" BS'd wheels and with stock flares and they rubbed when stuffed. I yanked the stock flares and went to 5", no problems with the 32's.

I later switched to my current config of 5", rear YJ flares and 33x10.50's on 3.75" BS'd wheels and it has no problems. If you're fenders are hacked up for TJ flares, the 33's will fit but you'll need to limit the uptravel. 4.5" BS may get you rubbing the LCA's at full steer so you may want to looking into less BS.

Back