• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Squeekin' and Creekin'

2001XJ-32

NAXJA Forum User
This is not just a rant, I am looking for solutions please.

My XJ squeeks and creeks sometimes... more than likely if I have a girl in it (I dont date huge girls often so that is not the problem!) and I am no longer tolerant of the sound and want to make it go away.

The leafs have a good sound and I am thinking that White Lithium Greese is the answer there and then some silcon on the interior where there is sqeeking from the dash...

Without a unibody stiffener, are these the right products to use?

:cheers:

Squeaks seem inherent with XJs. I had a really annoying one at the rear seatback latch, the metal hook on the metal latch bar. I did four or five wraps of electrical tape around the latch bar, it went away. The dash is a tough one, don't really want to use much in the way of chemical sprays or sealants, as they can discolor the dash or about the time you put silicone on the squeaky joints you'll need to pull it apart to fix something. Make sure all of the dash screws are good and snug, that should help some. White lithium grease is a good one for leaf spring bushings.

My 2001 has the same problem. Some of the cures I have used.
Disassembled the dash and glued foam and felt strips wherever things rub.
Added a winch bumper/towing base plate, C-Rok steering box plates and a track bar brace which did a lot to quiet things up.
Silicone on all the door rubber.

Have a friend drive and spend some time using a long piece of heater hose as a stethoscope to help pinpoint the interior noises.

Turn the radio UP!
Bracing the frame the frame and adding a cage would do wonders.

What tires are you running, if you have off-road type that are low on tread life, they will add to the vibration and squeeks. Use sticky-back felt on places where the dash contacts mounting points (have to disassemble) this will help. Lastly, it is a jeep...if it's not squeeking and leaking, its not running right.

New Wrangler AT/R tyres front & rear. News Transfer box & props, LIBERAL (& I mean EXCESSIVE!!) spraying with silicone grease on the interior & a self-tapping screw through the top left (of my RHD Cherokee) of the knee bolster: result - NO SQUEAKS!!

New Wrangler AT/R tyres front & rear. News Transfer box & props, LIBERAL (& I mean EXCESSIVE!!) spraying with silicone grease on the interior & a self-tapping screw through the top left (of my RHD Cherokee) of the knee bolster: result - NO SQUEAKS!!

Back