• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 brake pad orientation???

XJinWork

NAXJA Forum User
IIt's been 6 months since I disassembled the 8.8 for my XJ project. Now, I can't remember the proper orientation of the brake pads. Here they are:

P6180254.jpg

P6180253.jpg

P6180252.jpg

My thinking is that the notch goes to the backside of rotation to eliminate the pad from lifting out.

diagram.jpg

Anyone know absolutely which way them go?

IIRC, there is no proper way to mount the brake/disk pads. When I did the disk conversion on my D44, I mounted them so that it will be easy to get the park brake cables into them. Most importantly, the bleed nipple in the calipers should be up,... in the top most position.

Having said all that, the disk parts I used were from a WJ D44 not a Ford 8.8 which I am not familiar with. Generally speaking, I think the same principles apply to both the WJ and/or the 8.8 parts.

I got loaded calipers and just put them in the way they were. The flat part at the back and the notched part to the front, basically the opposite of your little drawing.

Back