• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headgasket help

GinisKratos

NAXJA Forum User
Hay all - finally tracked down the BS with my cragslist Jeep... headgasket :puke: And its just bad enough that i cant try that Blue Devil stuff - going to take it back and just get the kit.

I looked up waht i need online and found http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=HS9076PT
I called the local schucks to make sure they have one, and he tells me that the kit not for my model year (88 4L limited) although the site pulled it up as being the one i need... he tells me its for a 91 to 94... my question is... are they compatable? I cant remember if its just the intake manafold that you can toss on the RENIX or if its the head also. I want to do this asap, as in start tonight and finish tomorrow. I have the one specific for my year on order but its going to be a few days.

Should i wait or is the one i linked going to work?

Thanks!

What, precisely, are you trying to do?

If you're overhauling a RENIX head on a RENIX engine, you'll need the RENIX head set.

If you're putting a later head on a RENIX engine, you can use the later head set (use the RENIX bottom-end set, but get the 1996-up oil sump gasket to save yourself some wrestling, if you're doing any bottom-end work.)

Otherwise, I know I'd need more information!

Well its all RENIX - but i dont knwo the diffrences between the HO and the RENIX to be able to say that the gasket kit the site told me would work would actually work. Ill wait for the RENIX set then :)

Well its all RENIX - but i dont knwo the diffrences between the HO and the RENIX to be able to say that the gasket kit the site told me would work would actually work. Ill wait for the RENIX set then :)

The intake ports are higher up on the 1991-up heads, and I think the exhaust ports were changed as well (haven't looked at that yet.) But, the difference in intake port location is really obvious.

You will not be able to use the later manifold gasket on the earlier head. You may be able to use the later manifold on the earlier head, but it takes some work and I'm not sure just what's involved (the manifold proper has to be "lowered" to mate up to the RENIX head ports.)

You can put a later head on a Renix block, so I dunno why the gaskets would be different.

You can put a later head on a Renix block, so I dunno why the gaskets would be different.

The head gaskets are the same. The valve cover gaskets may be the same, and the thermostat outlet gasket is probably the same.

The manifold gaskets are not the same - that's what I was talking about. The throttle body gasket also changed 1990/1991.

Since a "Head Set" is everything from the head gasket up, it's just easier to get the head set for the year of cylinder head you are using, if you're going to get the whole set.

Which is, after all, easier than piecing the thing together!

Back